This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5233 / 53°31'24"N
Longitude: -1.1349 / 1°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 457452
OS Northings: 403312
OS Grid: SE574033
Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.3P
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.JPSS
Plus Code: 9C5WGVF8+83
Entry Name: 50 and 51, High Street
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335054
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SW (south side)
6/58 No 50 and 51(formerly
listed as Parkinson's
House, now shop. Mid C18 with early C19 alterations. Painted brick with stone
and gauged brick dressings, slate roof. Three storeys, 5 second-floor windows.
Plinth. Good early C19 shop front across most of ground floor with wide small-paned
bow windows on rendered plinths flanking central entrance. This has C20 double-
leaf panelled door below traceried overlight in doorcase with moulded hood on fluted
consoles with guttae. Similar consoles supporting dosserets, to pilasters on outer
side of each bow window. Bow windows have moulded cornices with reeded friezes.
Above across the full width of the shop front is a C20 fascia of no special interest.
Beyond to left is an inserted narrow 10-pane window which now forms part of the
shop front and beyond again is a raised and fielded 6-panel door below large over-
light with oval tracery and plain floating entablature, which provides separate
access to upper floors. Above, a wide ashlar band, now broken by later openings.
Above the bow windows are two shallower full height bows, each with central mullion
and pair of curved 15-pane sashes, below reed frieze, moulded cornice and leaded
roof. To left is a full height 15-pane sash in timber architrave, below flat gauged
brick arch, with ironwork balcony to front. Above again five 9-pane C20 windows
in original openings with flat gauged brick arches and projecting stone sills.
Substantial moulded stone cornice with later gutter added. Brick end stacks.
Interior has original column on vase baluster staircase with ramped handrail, above
level of first half landing.
Listing NGR: SE5745203312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings