This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5239 / 53°31'25"N
Longitude: -1.1346 / 1°8'4"W
OS Eastings: 457470
OS Northings: 403368
OS Grid: SE574033
Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.5J
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.JPYD
Entry Name: Barclays Bank
Listing Date: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335035
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SW (north side)
6/40 Barclays Bank, No 3
Bank. 1882, built by Fredrick Williams Masters, builder. Ashlar, red brick to
rear, roof hidden. Three storeys; 6 bays, end bays slightly advanced above ground
floor. Plinth. Ground floor: end bays have steps to panelled doors and plain
fanlights below keyed archivolts on moulded imposts, set within large pedimented
doorcases. These have pilasters with fluted panels, on deep bases with vermiculated
panels, supporting fluted consoles with swags to top and cornices, which in turn
support panelled dosserets and open pediment. Plain keyed frieze between the
dosserets. Central 4 bays have plate-glass sashes with moulded sills over panelled
aprons, divided by rusticated pilasters with alternating vermiculated panels.
Entablature with moulded cornice over. First floor has 6 plate-glass sashes over
raised aprons and continuous moulded sill, set in eared architraves with pediments.
Two central windows with segmental pediments, flanked by windows with triangular
pediments and outer bays with scrolled broken pediments. Second floor has smaller
similar sashes on continuous moulded sill with projecting bracketed sills to windows.
Windows in eared architraves with scrolled tops. Entablature over with blocking
course and central raised panel flanked by scrolls. End ashlar stacks. Interior
has original banking hall with grid beamed ceiling with dentilled and bracketed
cornices. Originally built for the Yorkshire Savings Bank.
Listing NGR: SE5747003368
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings