History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade I Listed Building in Campsall, Doncaster

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.6202 / 53°37'12"N

Longitude: -1.1789 / 1°10'43"W

OS Eastings: 454412

OS Northings: 414056

OS Grid: SE544140

Mapcode National: GBR NV6K.LZ

Mapcode Global: WHDCN.V8TH

Plus Code: 9C5WJRCC+3F

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 5 June 1968

Last Amended: 23 March 1988

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334941

Location: Norton, Doncaster, DN6

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Norton

Built-Up Area: Campsall

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Campsall St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 51 SW (north side),
Church Hill,

3/77 The Old Rectory
5.6.68 (formerly listed as
Campsall Vicarage)
GV 1
Vicarage now a private house. c1400 with c1800 additions; C19 and C20
alterations. Ashlar magnesian limestone, the later additions pebble-dashed;
stone slate roof. 2 storeys; T-shaped medieval house with oblique cross-wing
across north end of hall-block, the latter having the c1800 additions to its
east. Entrance front (to west): chamfered plinth. Hall-block on right has
C19 moulded, pointed doorway with 2-light chamfered, mullioned window on left
and C19 cross-window on right; beyond, on right, a lateral stack with offsets
which terminates at the eaves. 1st floor: C19 cross-window flanked by
blocked original window openings; rendered ridge stack. Gabled wing on left
has lst-floor casement and rendered end stack; the short right return of the
gable lit by 16-pane sash beneath casement with glazing bars.
Rear: cross-wing gable on right has C20 casement beneath 3-light
Perpendicular window with panel tracery and hollow-chamfered hoodmould with
mutilated stops; gable copings with apex cross. Left return: chamfered
surround to part-glazed door with stained-glass overlight; on left are two
C20 casements with glazing bars, that to right in C17 or earlier chamfered
surround. 1st floor: 2 similar windows, that on left in original opening
with grotesque head-carved hoodmould stops; brick gable to right of centre
with cross-window and end stack. Right return: hall-block gable has enlarged
ground-floor opening with glazed door flanked by sashes with glazing bars
beneath hoodmould of earlier mullioned window; large medieval window opening
over has sash with Gothick glazing bars beneath pointed arch and hoodmould
with head-carved stops; gable copings with apex cross. Addition on right has
mock-ashlar render.

Interior: northern ground-floor room of hall block has original studded
partition with 2 ogee-headed doorways (that to west renewed); 2 original
studs survive above. Non-original 1st floor of this room removed c1980 to
make an open-galleried hall off which, to east, opens a 1st-floor doorway of
c1400 with double-quadrant moulding and 2-centred arch. Hall-block roof of
3 bays terminating at closed truss over the stud partition; arch-braced
collars to principal rafters with side and collar purlins; collared common
rafters, no ridge piece. The closed northern truss has tie beam; purlin
mortices on north face suggest the roof continued. West wing: medieval
shouldered-arched ground-floor doorway. East wing: 1st-floor room, probably
a former chapel, has original roof similar to that of hall-block but of 2
bays with end and central trusses having arch braces forming a continuous
pointed arch.

The building, as a 1st-floor hall of c1400, is late for that tradition; the
heated ground-floor of the hall-block indicates a habitable domestic use
beneath what was, perhaps, an assembly room of some importance. The Church
of St. Mary Magdalene (q.v.) situated opposite is known to have held great
wealth in the C13. In 1481 Edward IV granted the rectory to the Benedictine
nunnery of Wallingwells (Nottinghamshire), it being appropriated to this
purpose in 1482 by Thomas Rotherham, Archbishop of York who ordained that
the church should in future be served by a vicar, rather than a rector,
appointed by Cambridge University. At the Dissolution much of the income of
Wallingwells was derived from Campsall,

D. Hey, The Making of South Yorkshire, 1979, p104, plate 52.

P. F. Ryder, survey record in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record,
Sheffield, primary index No. 306, 1981.

Listing NGR: SE5441314058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.