This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4918 / 53°29'30"N
Longitude: -1.4747 / 1°28'28"W
OS Eastings: 434950
OS Northings: 399586
OS Grid: SK349995
Mapcode National: GBR LX42.J0
Mapcode Global: WHDD3.BH0F
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333935
Location: Tankersley, Barnsley, S74
Civil Parish: Tankersley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Tankersley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TANKERSLEY BLACK LANE
4/59 Church of St. Peter
Church. C14 and C15, north aisle wall rebuilt 1881. Ashlar sandstone, rubble
walling to chancel; nave roof not visible, C19 tiles to chancel. West tower,
3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north organ
chamber and vestry. Decorated; reticulated tracery. Tower: chamfered plinth,
north-east vice in the form of a large buttress. 1881 datestone beneath 3-light
west window with hoodmould. Round-headed slit windows beneath louvred 2-light
belfry openings with rounded arches; square-headed belfry window on west.
String course beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: chamfered
plinth. Rebuilt south porch has iron gates by Lutyens, 1901 (Brinknam p15), in
quadrant-moulded ogee arch; gable copings with cross. Porch within has cavetto-
moulded south door and medieval stones in side walls. Flanking 3-light windows
have restored tracery and hoodmoulds. Sundial dated 1789 at south-west corner.
Three C16-C17 two-light mullioned windows (that on right altered) beneath string
course and embattled parapet. Rebuilt north wall with square-headed windows
having cusped ogee lights, clerestorey with two 3-light windows, parapets as south.
Chancel: blocked ogee-arched priest's door flanked by 2-light windows with
quadrant-moulded surrounds to ogee lights beneath square head. C19 organ chamber
has buttresses flanking plate tracery window beneath gable; lean-to vestry.
C14 east window of 3 lights has head-carved hoodmould beneath gable with shaped
kneelers, copings and cross.
Interior: tall double-chamfered tower arch. North aisle has broach-stopped bases
to cylindrical piers with moulded capitals (1 round, 1 octagonal); eastern respond
with restored (?) waterleaf decoration; double-chamfered arches. Tall, pointed
and double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded brackets. Pointed-arched rood-stair
door. C19 roofs and fittings. Monuments: cross slab with book and chalice to
Thomas Toytyll (d1482) - near priest's door; other incised slabs include one to
Richard Worteley (d1435). Eastern window on south side of nave probably by
Morris and Co. in the style of Burne-Jones is in memory of Ellen Walker(d1879).
S. Brinkman, The Parish and Church of St. Peter, Tankersley, in the Diocese of
Listing NGR: SK3495099586
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings