This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8619 / 50°51'42"N
Longitude: -2.3195 / 2°19'10"W
OS Eastings: 377612
OS Northings: 106978
OS Grid: ST776069
Mapcode National: GBR 0XR.VT4
Mapcode Global: FRA 661T.D7G
Plus Code: 9C2VVM6J+Q6
Entry Name: Parish Church of Unknown Dedication
Listing Date: 20 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403093
Location: Woolland, Dorset, DT11
Civil Parish: Woolland
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Woolland
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 70 NE
Parish church of
Parish church, c. 1857 by G Gilbert Scott. Coursed squared rubble with
ashlar dressings, slate roofs, gabled to nave and apsidal to chancel.
Stone copings. Plan: west bell turret, nave, south chapel/vestry,
apsidal chancel. Generally in late C13 'Second Pointed' style. Octagonal
3-stage bell turret, the second stage having 4 shafted lancets with stone
louvres. Alternate faces have buttresses. Turret surmounted by wrought
iron cross. Nave windows of 3-lights under segmental heads having labels
with head stops. Chapel has narrow window with geometric tracery under
2-centred head having label with head stops together with an east lancet.
2-light west window with quatrefoil. Chancel has lancets with trefoils
and 2-light windows under 2-centred heads with quatrefoils. South porch
and chapel window gabled. Porch has moulded 2-centred arch springing
from round columns. Label with carved stops. Wall has weathered buttresses.
Porch contains 2-centred niche containing charity box lit by 2 trefoils.
Inner door has 2-centred head with continuously moulded jambs and label
with carved foliage stops. Interior: West arch is moulded and springs
from half-columns with moulded capitals supported on corbels with carved
foliage. Chapel arcade of 2 bays with 2-centred arches springing from
massive central column having richly carved foliage capital. Respond
corbels also carved. 2-centred moulded chancel arch springs from 3 marble
three-quarter columns with capitals having rich foliage carving. Chancel
has rere-arches with marble columns and similar vaulting shafts. Shouldered
doorway to pulpit. 4-bay nave roof with arched scissor braced principals
on corbels and scissor braced common rafters on ashlar pieces. Chancel has
ribbed stone vault with carved bosses. Stone pulpit c.1860 with carved
quatrefoils, foliage and ballflower decoration. C15 octagonal stone font
with quatrefoils on C19 base. Pews and other fittings C19. Monuments:
brass plate to Mary Argenton 1616 in chapel, tablet with mourning figures
to Cathrine (Feaver) Loffus 1842 by E H Bailey and tablet to John Feaver
1788 in nave. Stone carving by Farmer and Brindley. "RCHM, Dorset, vol III",
P 316, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, "The Buildings of England: Dorset"
Penguin, 1972, pp 497-8. Brocklebark J, "Victorian Stone Carvers in
Dorset Churches", Dovecote, 1979, pp 66-7.
Listing NGR: ST7761206978
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings