This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5297 / 53°31'46"N
Longitude: -2.7138 / 2°42'49"W
OS Eastings: 352778
OS Northings: 403906
OS Grid: SD527039
Mapcode National: GBR 9WHM.8F
Mapcode Global: WH86S.8JYX
Plus Code: 9C5VG7HP+VF
Entry Name: Church of St James and Presbytery
Listing Date: 10 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403043
Location: Wigan, Greater Manchester, WN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Orrell
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Orrell St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
ORRELL ST. JAMES' ROAD
SD 50 SW
8/106 Church of
- St. James and
Catholic Church. 1805, lengthened 1841, west tower 1882
(ritual west is actual north). Stone with hipped slate roof.
4-bay nave, north chapel, west tower and presbytery to east.
West facade has corbeled frieze, cornice and parapet. Round-
headed windows with plain architraves. Porch has aedicule
with flat Tuscan pilasters; recessed paired 2-fielded-panel
doors and overlight with glazing bars. Cornice and blocking
course at eaves level; round-headed niche with statue of St.
James and impost band; bell stage, has 2 round-headed bell
openings, panelled pilasters and impost band. Top
entablature and lead-clad swept ogee domical vault and
finial cross. South facade has 1st 2 bays of stone, 2nd 2
bays plastered; round-headed windows. North facade similar.
Later chapel of 3 bays with 2-light windows and north
entrance. Presbytery is stuccoed, of 2 storeys with attic
under gable and 3 bays, small extension to left of 2 storeys
and bays. Windows have plaster surrounds. Ground floor has
C20 bay windows; extension has sashed windows with glazing
bars. 1st floor has sashed windows with glazing bars, window
to centre bay is blind with round-headed attic window with
casement above; extension similar. Entrance to central bay
is round-headed with Tuscan doorcase and fanlight with
glazing bars; 2-panel door. Plain round-headed entrance to
2nd bay of extension. Recessed gabled bay to right return.
Interior of Church has west gallery on 2 iron columns. East
end has Ionic balustrade; Ionic aedicule behind altar with
no pediment. C20 altar, reredos and canopy. Flanking altars
and reredoses of grey and white marble. 3 segmental arches
die into jambs to north chapel; good late C19 stained glass
and marble altar and reredos; C20 internal porch.
Listing NGR: SD5277803906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings