History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wilderness House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5554 / 52°33'19"N

Longitude: -0.1321 / 0°7'55"W

OS Eastings: 526732

OS Northings: 296923

OS Grid: TL267969

Mapcode National: GBR J01.WYP

Mapcode Global: VHGKY.N1HC

Plus Code: 9C4XHV49+54

Entry Name: Wilderness House

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287350

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402596

Location: Whittlesey, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Whittlesey

Built-Up Area: Whittlesey

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Whittlesey St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in


(South Side)

21/100 No. 47
11.8.50 (Wilderness House)


House. Early C18, early C19 and 1883. Local brick, mostly Flemish bond,
with limestone dressings. Steeply pitched roof covered with slates and
having end parapets with stone coping and a wood modillion eaves cornice.
Original, symmetrical, flush end stacks of stone with string cornices and
entablature. Plan of main range with early C19 service wing at rear forming
an L-plan. Two storeys and attics. Three original gable dormers.
Symmetrical elevation of two storeys framed by rusticated quoins of stone and
divided by plain band. Raised stone surrounds and key blocks to five C19
hung sashes. Four similar windows at ground floor and central doorway with
similar doorcase and original semi-circular plain coved hood on scroll
brackets. Door of six raised and fielded panels with rectangular fanlight.
Left hand gable end has three narrow, blocked window openings. House
extended at rear and service wing rebuilt early C19. Brick, English bond
with slate roof. Two storeys with round headed arches to four windows to St
Andrews Place elevation. Flush frame hung sashes in open boxing to courtyard
elevation. The rear extension has a lean-to slate roof. Two storeys with
pointed arches to two hung sashes. In 1883 a further remodelling took place
when a dining-room was added by William Abraham Ellis Stafforth (date stone
with initials). Brick and slate. Two storeys. Inside: Original plan of
narrower hall and stairbay flanked by parlour and dining-room. Opposing
front and rear entries. Fine early C18 staircase of four flights and two
landings, open string with two symmetrical balusters to each tread, swept and
moulded rail, fluted newels and scroll tread ends. Raised and fielded
panelling to staircase dado, except for plain sunk panelling to upper
flights. One ground floor room is lined with raised and fielded panelling in
two heights and another room at first floor is also panelled and has a
bolection moulded fireplace surround. The early C19 extension has similar
balusters and rails. The roof is of staggered butt purlin construction.

Whittlesea and District Field Archaeology Unit: Survey Report

Listing NGR: TL2673296923

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.