This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.73 / 50°43'47"N
Longitude: -3.5719 / 3°34'18"W
OS Eastings: 289158
OS Northings: 93442
OS Grid: SX891934
Mapcode National: GBR P0.3DTW
Mapcode Global: FRA 37D4.XZB
Plus Code: 9C2RPCHH+X6
Entry Name: Oaklands
Listing Date: 4 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402361
Location: Whitestone, Teignbridge, Devon, EX4
Civil Parish: Whitestone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Whitestone with Oldridge
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 89 SE
House, in use as public house between circa 1900 and 1939. Late C17 in origin,
possibly extended or partly remodelled in the C18. Colourwashed rendered cob with
some brick patching; thatched roof gabled at ends; left end stack, stack on rear wall
The original plan is not entirely clear, the present arrangement is single-depth, 3
rooms wide, the 2 left-hand rooms under a lower roofline late C17 in date, the right-
hand room with the rear lateral stack probably C18. There is no sign of a cross
passage and a corridor has been created in front of the central room. A single-
storey building at the right end of the range, probably originally an outbuilding,
has been converted as part of the acommodation.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2+1-window front, the roofline lower at the left-hand end
with the eaves thatch eyebrowed over 2 gabled dormers. Front door at right of left-
hand block, further entrance into single-storey addition at right end. Fenestration
of 1-, 2- and 3-light small pane casements; ground floor window right, a 3-light
casement 4 panes per light, is an early C20 window datingfrom the period when the
building was used as a public house.
Interior The left-hand room has a late C17 cross beam with a narrow chamfer and step
stops. The fireplace has been rebuilt in brick with a plain timber lintel. The
right-hand room has a massive rough cross beam and exposed joists, the fireplace has
been rebuilt after a collapse with the original chamfered timber lintel with run-out
stops. Old wall and ceiling plaster survives on the first floor. The fixed bench
and dados dating from the use as a public house survive on the ground floor.
Braddick,L.E., "Whitestone and Oldridge", T.D.A., Vol XCIV (1962), pp. 334-362
includes an illustration of the building with its inn sign.
Listing NGR: SX8915893442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings