History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oldridge Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitestone, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7536 / 50°45'12"N

Longitude: -3.6624 / 3°39'44"W

OS Eastings: 282828

OS Northings: 96204

OS Grid: SX828962

Mapcode National: GBR QN.BSWL

Mapcode Global: FRA 3763.5A7

Entry Name: Oldridge Chapel

Listing Date: 4 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287467

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402362

Location: Whitestone, Teignbridge, Devon, EX4

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Whitestone

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Whitestone with Oldridge

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Crediton

Listing Text

WHITESTONE OLDRIDGE
SX 89 NW

1/125 Oldridge Chapel

- II

Chapel of Ease to St Thomas church, Exeter. 1844 but possibly retaining some masonry
of the late C18. Snecked volcanic trap, Bathstone dressings, slate roof. Nave,
chancel, south transept. Gothic revival on a modest scale. The medieval church was
largely rebuilt in 1789 and some of the north wall masonry may date from this period.
The 1844 building was largely due to the Reverend John Medley of St Thomas, a
founding member of the Diocesan Architectural Society, who held advanced views on
church building.
3-light Perpendicular east window, west window and transept window; chancel with
single lancets to north and south; bell turret on west gable.
Interior collar rafter roof to nave with curved principals, some of the principal
rafters and purlins appear to be reused. Arch braced chancel roof carried on stone
corbels. Circa late C.12 font with square bowl on 1843 stem wih 4 shafts. 2
hatchments on painted wooden boards in transept; C17 chest in transept, C17 chair in
chancel. Stone pulpit of 1844, choir furnishings with poppy-headed choir stalls
probably 1843 but perhaps with later frontals. Bench ends in nave with various
tracery motifs appear to be very advanced for 1844.
An attractive chapel in a well informed Gothic Revival Style for the date,
impressively sited on hill and isolated from other buildings except the adjacent
house.


Listing NGR: SX8282896204

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.