History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Chest Tombs to South and East of the Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Stilton, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4888 / 52°29'19"N

Longitude: -0.2934 / 0°17'36"W

OS Eastings: 515972

OS Northings: 289247

OS Grid: TL159892

Mapcode National: GBR GZ8.YDL

Mapcode Global: VHGL1.VPRY

Entry Name: Four Chest Tombs to South and East of the Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287866

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401228

Location: Stilton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

Civil Parish: Stilton

Built-Up Area: Stilton

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stilton St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Stilton

Listing Text

STILTON CHURCH STREET
TL 1489
(South Side)
9/48 Four chest tombs to
south and east of
the Parish Church of
St Mary

GV II

Four chest tombs, late C18 and early C19. Limestone, and with slate
insertions. Identified as e,f,g and h. Chest tomb e: circa eight metres
south of south aisle, moulded lid and base with plain corner pilasters,
inscriptions on raised square plaques to Ann Wife of William Sanfield d.1797
and Amy wife of John Mason d.178- and William --- and John Mason, painted
black. Chest tomb f: circa eleven metres south of chancel, by Andrews of
Wisbech (1797-1841) moulded stepped and coped lid, deep plinth, frieze and
classical ornament with crossed torches palm fronds, sculpture of winged
Father Time with medallion of bust wreathed, oval plaques with unclear
inscriptions. Chest tomb : circa twelve metres south of chancel, moulded
lid, chamfered plinth with reeded corner pilasters and decoration to surround
of plaque inscribed to Joseph Newton late of Willow Hall d.1815.
Chest tomb h: circa six metres east of north aisle, by Andrews of Wisbech
(1797-1841), square planned with details similar to (f), but with inserted
diamond shaped slate panels carrying inscriptions to Frances wife of Henry?
Thomas d.179-. These chest tombs are representative of a number of chest
tombs in the churchyard, and C17 and C18 tombstones of historic interest and
design detail.
R C H M Huntingdonshire, p257
Burgess, English Churchyard Memorials, 1979


Listing NGR: TL1597289247

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.