This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4867 / 52°29'12"N
Longitude: -1.9719 / 1°58'19"W
OS Eastings: 402001
OS Northings: 287646
OS Grid: SP020876
Mapcode National: GBR 5H6.GG
Mapcode Global: VH9YV.RRWJ
Entry Name: Smethwick Old Church
Listing Date: 21 March 1949
Last Amended: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287916
English Heritage Legacy ID: 219265
Location: Sandwell, B67
Electoral Ward/Division: Smethwick
Built-Up Area: Smethwick
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Smethwick
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SANDWELL MB CHURCH ROAD/THE UPLANDS
SP 08 NW
9/59 Smethwick Old Church
(formerly listed as
Church. Consecrated 1732, partly rebuilt in 1963. Brick in Flemish bond
with slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, narrow chancel, and north-
east vestry rebuilt in 1963. The four-bay nave has chamfered quoins, a
cornice which continues around the tower, and a brick parapet. The windows
have stone surrounds with round heads, keystones, and impost blocks. The
tower parapet, above a cornice, is swept upwards at the corners. The bell
openings are louvred and have surrounds similar to those of the nave windows.
Attached to each is an iron clock face. Below is a band, and below that a
blind round opening. The west doorway has an outer round brick arch and an
inner stone surround with round head. The chancel has a square east end,
and convex walls joining it to the nave. The east wall has a segmental
pediment above the cornice, and a window similar to those of the nave. To
each side of the chancel, in the east wall of the nave, there is a doorway
with a round window above, under a brick arch. The left-hand doorway is now
blocked, and the right-hand one is covered by the C20 vestry. Interior: west
gallery, added in 1759, has timber front carried on two fluted timber Doric
antae. Walls have dentilled cornice, with bays separated by a giant order.
The round chancel arch is flanked by pilasters. Wall tablets include one
on the north respond of the chancel arch to John Hinckley, died 1740, and one
on the south respond to Dorothy Parkes, died 1727. History: Dorothy Parkes of
Birmingham left money to build a chapel on her lands in Smethwick. It was
asigned a district in 1842 and has no dedication. (VCH, pp 123 & 124).
Listing NGR: SP0200187646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings