This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4866 / 52°29'11"N
Longitude: -1.9606 / 1°57'38"W
OS Eastings: 402774
OS Northings: 287627
OS Grid: SP027876
Mapcode National: GBR 5K6.ZJ
Mapcode Global: VH9YV.YRWP
Plus Code: 9C4WF2PQ+JQ
Entry Name: The Waterloo Hotel
Listing Date: 24 February 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437058
Location: Sandwell, B66
Electoral Ward/Division: Soho and Victoria
Built-Up Area: Smethwick
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Smethwick St Matthew with St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 08 NW
The Waterloo Hotel
Public House. 1907 by Wood and Kendrick, for Mitchells and Butlers Ltd, with minor late C20 alterations. Red brick, with buff and red terracotta dressings and enrichment, above a pink granite plinth. Slate roof, brick chimneys with terracotta banding, and a weather vane in the form of a galleon. PLAN. Sub-rectangular plan form on a corner site. Public bar in corner with parlour and billiard room behind. Basement grill room/bar. Hotel accommodation on upper floors. EXTERIOR. Edwardian Baroque style. 3 storeys above a basement. The ground floor is faced with red terracotta, having corbels from which buff terracotta pilasters rise through the upper 2 floors; these have cartouches with husk drops and grotesque faces at second floor level. Flanking the narrower entrance bay are bays with tripartite windows, those on the upper floors in terracotta surrounds with Ionic columns, those to the first floor are pedimented. Deeply-moulded cornice parapet with cone finials; shaped buff terracotta upstands contain cartouches with date 1907 and the initials 'M.B.'. An attached red brick 4-window range to the left is more simply treated and has an attached retaining wall with cast-iron railings. A red terracotta band runs the length of the elevation between ground and first floors with the words 'Mitchells and Butlers Brewers Wine and Spirit Merchants'. Splayed corner bay has recessed entrance to main bar, windows in floors above framed in splayed buff terracotta surrounds with Ionic columns. Over the parapet on corner a weathervane in the fom of a galleon. Return elevation to Waterloo Road in the same style. INTERIOR. Bar has entrances through varnished timber vestibules with etched glass panels. Fixed upholstered bench seating, varnished and painted bar counter with pilasters and festoons. Ornate pedimented bar back with mirrors with coloured glass below and stained glass panels above. 3 walls are tiled throughout with green glazed tiles, with a frieze of medallions with husk drops in pink and green. The ceiling is covered with plain and embossed cream glazed tiles. Terrazzo floor. The Shireland Road entrance leads to a hall with glazed tiles as before, thence to parlour and billiard room with altered doors and interiors. Stairs lead up to landing with a pedimented wooden kiosk with roller shutters and etched glass, and said to have been used by a night watchman. Wall tiled as before, and doors leading off with the words 'Club Room', 'Private' etc. Steps down from ground floor lobby lead to a basement grill room with coffered ceiling. Walls and ceiling decorated with tiles by Carters of Poole. Lower part of the walls with green tiles, some embossed with designs of birds and dolphins. Bold multi-coloured frieze with designs of galleons and cartouches. Ceiling of buff and green tiles. At the entrance a 2-bay screen with stained glass panels of galleons; behind this upholstered seat with bell-push. Ornate bar counter and back with dumb waiter. Original tiled and cast-iron grill on the opposite wall. Terrazzo floor. Tiled toilet with original urinals by Twyfords of Hanley. An exceptionally fine and near- complete example of an Edwardian showpiece public house and commercial hotel which retains its original plan-form and many interior features, including the unusually ornate and complete basement grill room. Source: A. Crawford, M. Dunn & R. Thorne, Birmingham Pubs 1880-1939 (Gloucester, 1986), pp. 132-3.
Listing NGR: SP0277487627
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings