History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kidderminster, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3359 / 52°20'9"N

Longitude: -2.2351 / 2°14'6"W

OS Eastings: 384074

OS Northings: 270891

OS Grid: SO840708

Mapcode National: GBR 1DC.KQR

Mapcode Global: VH921.6KQ5

Plus Code: 9C4V8QP7+9W

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 14 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288150

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400574

Location: Hartlebury, Wychavon, Worcestershire, DY11

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Hartlebury

Built-Up Area: Waresley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Hartlebury

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Stourport

Listing Text

HARTLEBURY CP HARTLEBURY
SO 87 SW
1/65 Church of St James
14.3.69
GV II*

Parish church. Fragments of c1300, tower 1587 for Bishop Sandys, rest by
Thomas Rickman 1825 and 1836-7 with restoration of 1877. Sandstone ashlar,
tile roof. West tower 1587 with early C19 west porch; nave with north and
south aisles 1836-7; chancel 1825, north and south chapels (early C19 and
1877 respectively). West tower: three stages with crenellated parapet,
string courses and diagonal buttresses; belfry (top) stage has windows of
two pointed lights under a 3-centred head; on west face of tower above
porch a pedimented tablet bears the arms of Bishop Sandys and the date 1587;
west porch: by Rickman, two storeys with angled buttresses; large 3-light
Perpendicular style window over entrance with 2-centred head. Nave and
aisles: of 1836-7 by Rickman, crenellated parapet, five bays divided by
stepped buttresses, the fifth bay to the west wrapping around the tower;
windows of three trefoil headed lights. North chapel of 1825: four bays
with single cinquefoil headed light windows under square heads with square
labels, the east bay occupied by a door below a blind window. South chapel:
of 1877; two bays with windows of two trefoil headed lights, east window of
three ligts. Chancel: east window of four lights under 2-centred head.
Interior: nave: four-bay arcade, slender sandstone piers supporting 2-centred
moulded arches, plastered ribbed vaults to nave and aisles with bosses.
Galleries in both aisles on cast iron columns with cinquefoil headed panels
to front of gallery; 2-centred moulded arch to chancel with label, and
similar, but lower arches from aisles into chapels, two-bay arcade each
side of chancel, that to north with quatrefoil columns supporting 2-centred
arches of two chamfered orders of c1300 but much restored, the south arcade
is a copy of this of about 1877. Ceiling: ribbed barrel vault. Fittings:
almost entirely late C19, font: circular with nail head ornament, the lower
part C12, the upper late C19. (VCH 3, p 386; BoE pp 189 - 190; H Colvin,
A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, London 1978,
p 691).


Listing NGR: SO8407470891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.