History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Dubricius

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hentland, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9341 / 51°56'2"N

Longitude: -2.666 / 2°39'57"W

OS Eastings: 354306

OS Northings: 226391

OS Grid: SO543263

Mapcode National: GBR FN.N7BL

Mapcode Global: VH868.QNY4

Entry Name: Church of St Dubricius

Listing Date: 26 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 399200

Location: Hentland, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Hentland

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Hentland with Hoarwithy

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Sellack

Listing Text

HENTLAND CP
SO 52 NW
3/49 Church of St Dubricius

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1300, late C14 and C15, restored by J P Seddon 1853.
Squared sandstone, sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings; tile, stone slate
and Welsh slate roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with north aisle and north
porch, two-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower is C14 with three stages,
the lowest and middle externally undivided, embattled parapet, deep moulded
plinth, square full-height projection for newel at east end of north side,
diagonal buttresses with off-sets to north-west, south-west and south-east
extend to string course marking the bottom of the top stage; ground stage
has large west window with 2-centred head, three cinquefoil-headed lights
and tracery; second stage has one central small light with 2-centred head
to south and west; top stage has one 2-light bell-opening to each side,
the lights having trefoiled and ogeed heads and quatrefoil tracery; east
side has marks of earlier nave roof; west face of newel projection has three
loops; sundial on south wall reported by RCHM as having inscription to Annah
Smith 1680. North aisle has single-light trefoil-headed windows, one in the
west wall, one to each side of north porch, the eastern one flanked by C19
weathered buttresses. Vestry is C19, trefoiled window to right of square
headed north doorway with shouldered jambs, east window is also trefoil-headed.
Chancel has one trefoil-headed light to east of vestry; diagonal buttress to
north-east and south-east; east window, greatly restored, has 2-centred head
and three lights; south wall has 2-light trefoil-headed windows, one to either
side of weathered buttress. Nave has two buttresses both C19, the left one
rising above blocked south door to octagonal chimney shaft, to its left one
trefoil-headed window, to its right a square-headed window with spandrels and
two ogeed, trefoil-headed lights and a 2-light window with chamfered and moulded
jambs and a 2-centred head. North porch is C19 with gable cross, outer arch
is chamfered with a 2-centred head; c1300 north doorway is chamfered with
segmental head. Interior has almost continuous scissor-braced roof, perhaps
C15 to nave and chancel, the latter with collars and mid-C19 painted decoration;
four-bay arcade of double chamfered 2-centred arches separates nave and north
aisle, the piers are octagonal and the outer chamfered orders run out in
pyramidal stops above the octagonal abaci. Chancel has a scheme of mid-C19
painted wall decoration, with foliated designs around windows, ashlar lining
in terracotta colour, to the left of east window a genealogical tree from Adam
to Abraham; east window has stained glass perhaps C15 with one nimbed figure
to each side light and a smaller figure, probably the donor, in the central
light; C19 credence on north wall has part octagonal pilaster with quatrefoil
frieze; C19 quatrefoil drain of piscina in easternmost window of south side;
C18 chair south of altar has scrolled arms, fielded back-panel, extending down
to floor, chamfered rails, arms supported on balusters; early C17 chair on
north side has back-panel with arch and Ionic capitals, moustacheoed caryatids,
front rail with arabesque decoration, scrolled arms supported by turned balusters
extending downwards as front legs, in the back panel is a stylised vine with
grapes, its bottom margin with another arabesque design; three brass hanging
oil lamps, probably c1900; organ is late C19 with polychrome pipes, hand pump
and inscription: THE GIFT OF THE REVD T P SYMONDS OF PENGETHLY, integrated
flanking doors lead into organ chamber and vestry which has C19 fireplace with
moulded 2-centred arch and mantel supported on two corbels, the west window,
formerly external window of north aisle, is trefoil-headed and has late C19
stained glass depicting "The Mother of Jesus/ S John II i". Nave has chancel
screen which is substantially C19 perhaps with elements of late medieval
tracery on cresting, four open cinquefoil headed tracery panels, central 2-centred
entrance with mid-C19 inscription "0 WORSHIP THE LORD IN THE BEAUTY OF
HOLINESS": on north side opening to former rood-loft has square head; C19
ogeed-open panelled desk and matching bench, in same style as comtemporary
choir stalls; C17 pulpit, seven parts of octagon, guilloche ornament, fluted
pilasters and arch to each face which is three panels deep, bottom panels
are square, plinth has two zones of small arched friezes; Caroline chair
with turned balusters to back and stretchers, vine leaf decoration to open-
work back-panel, woven cane seat; on south wall a copy of Ecce Homo by Carlo
Dolci inscribed "Corsini, Firenze"; wall memorial to the 15 fallen of World
War I from the parish, blocked south door has 2-centred head and contains
two end panels from late C17 or C18 chest tomb with cartouches, scrolled margins
and putto heads, in front cast-iron stove, probably late C19, inscribed in raised
lettering: "THE NATIONAL SLOGAN/ No 5". North aisle has remains of stairs to
rood-loft, square niche to left of east window, sexfoiled C19 drain in piscina
to its right, beneath the window an altar carved by Ethel Strachan in 1903 for
the Revd Scarlett Smith, C19 chandelier for six candles arranged on a circular
band with paterae; font is probably late C15, square base rising to octagon,
octagonal stem with trefoiled-headed panels, octagonal bowl with curved under-
side and panels with two recessed female heads and rosettes; six brass oil
lamps of same design as those in chancel. Tower arch has two orders with 2-
centred heads, the inner more pointed and dying into the jambs of the outer;
beneath is an oak screen, open upper panels with heads like that of chancel
screen, presented as a memorial for Sydney Lidderdale Smith 1817 - 1903, Canon
Residentiary of Hereford Cathedral; within the tower an 1829 Benefactions board
including: "J Powell of Pengethley by his will dated 1605; gave out of the White-
house Farm in the parish of Sellack aforesaid Twenty Shillings per annum payable
on All-Saints day and to be equally distributed at Christmas and Easter for ever";
on north wall a wall notice possibly late C19 to early C20 by Ecclesiastical
Insurance Office, Lim, entitled "Frequent Causes of Destruction of Churches by
Fire" listing furnace pipes, oil lamps, workmen (especially plumbers), dust and
matches, organ stores, organ repairers, organ music and desk lights, and the
absence of lightning conductors; late C17 chest with rectangular panels and
lock-plate noted by RCHM absent at time of re-survey (October 1985). (BoE, p 144;
RCHM Vol I, p 84-6).


Listing NGR: SO5430626391

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

HENTLAND CP
SO 52 NW
3/49 Church of St Dubricius

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1300, late C14 and C15, restored by J P Seddon 1853.
Squared sandstone, sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings; tile, stone slate
and Welsh slate roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with north aisle and north
porch, two-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower is C14 with three stages,
the lowest and middle externally undivided, embattled parapet, deep moulded
plinth, square full-height projection for newel at east end of north side,
diagonal buttresses with off-sets to north-west, south-west and south-east
extend to string course marking the bottom of the top stage; ground stage
has large west window with 2-centred head, three cinquefoil-headed lights
and tracery; second stage has one central small light with 2-centred head
to south and west; top stage has one 2-light bell-opening to each side,
the lights having trefoiled and ogeed heads and quatrefoil tracery; east
side has marks of earlier nave roof; west face of newel projection has three
loops; sundial on south wall reported by RCHM as having inscription to Annah
Smith 1680. North aisle has single-light trefoil-headed windows, one in the
west wall, one to each side of north porch, the eastern one flanked by C19
weathered buttresses. Vestry is C19, trefoiled window to right of square
headed north doorway with shouldered jambs, east window is also trefoil-headed.
Chancel has one trefoil-headed light to east of vestry; diagonal buttress to
north-east and south-east; east window, greatly restored, has 2-centred head
and three lights; south wall has 2-light trefoil-headed windows, one to either
side of weathered buttress. Nave has two buttresses both C19, the left one
rising above blocked south door to octagonal chimney shaft, to its left one
trefoil-headed window, to its right a square-headed window with spandrels and
two ogeed, trefoil-headed lights and a 2-light window with chamfered and moulded
jambs and a 2-centred head. North porch is C19 with gable cross, outer arch
is chamfered with a 2-centred head; c1300 north doorway is chamfered with
segmental head. Interior has almost continuous scissor-braced roof, perhaps
C15 to nave and chancel, the latter with collars and mid-C19 painted decoration;
four-bay arcade of double chamfered 2-centred arches separates nave and north
aisle, the piers are octagonal and the outer chamfered orders run out in
pyramidal stops above the octagonal abaci. Chancel has a scheme of mid-C19
painted wall decoration, with foliated designs around windows, ashlar lining
in terracotta colour, to the left of east window a genealogical tree from Adam
to Abraham; east window has stained glass perhaps C15 with one nimbed figure
to each side light and a smaller figure, probably the donor, in the central
light; C19 credence on north wall has part octagonal pilaster with quatrefoil
frieze; C19 quatrefoil drain of piscina in easternmost window of south side;
C18 chair south of altar has scrolled arms, fielded back-panel, extending down
to floor, chamfered rails, arms supported on balusters; early C17 chair on
north side has back-panel with arch and Ionic capitals, moustacheoed caryatids,
front rail with arabesque decoration, scrolled arms supported by turned balusters
extending downwards as front legs, in the back panel is a stylised vine with
grapes, its bottom margin with another arabesque design; three brass hanging
oil lamps, probably c1900; organ is late C19 with polychrome pipes, hand pump
and inscription: THE GIFT OF THE REVD T P SYMONDS OF PENGETHLY, integrated
flanking doors lead into organ chamber and vestry which has C19 fireplace with
moulded 2-centred arch and mantel supported on two corbels, the west window,
formerly external window of north aisle, is trefoil-headed and has late C19
stained glass depicting "The Mother of Jesus/ S John II i". Nave has chancel
screen which is substantially C19 perhaps with elements of late medieval
tracery on cresting, four open cinquefoil headed tracery panels, central 2-centred
entrance with mid-C19 inscription "0 WORSHIP THE LORD IN THE BEAUTY OF
HOLINESS": on north side opening to former rood-loft has square head; C19
ogeed-open panelled desk and matching bench, in same style as comtemporary
choir stalls; C17 pulpit, seven parts of octagon, guilloche ornament, fluted
pilasters and arch to each face which is three panels deep, bottom panels
are square, plinth has two zones of small arched friezes; Caroline chair
with turned balusters to back and stretchers, vine leaf decoration to open-
work back-panel, woven cane seat; on south wall a copy of Ecce Homo by Carlo
Dolci inscribed "Corsini, Firenze"; wall memorial to the 15 fallen of World
War I from the parish, blocked south door has 2-centred head and contains
two end panels from late C17 or C18 chest tomb with cartouches, scrolled margins
and putto heads, in front cast-iron stove, probably late C19, inscribed in raised
lettering: "THE NATIONAL SLOGAN/ No 5". North aisle has remains of stairs to
rood-loft, square niche to left of east window, sexfoiled C19 drain in piscina
to its right, beneath the window an altar carved by Ethel Strachan in 1903 for
the Revd Scarlett Smith, C19 chandelier for six candles arranged on a circular
band with paterae; font is probably late C15, square base rising to octagon,
octagonal stem with trefoiled-headed panels, octagonal bowl with curved under-
side and panels with two recessed female heads and rosettes; six brass oil
lamps of same design as those in chancel. Tower arch has two orders with 2-
centred heads, the inner more pointed and dying into the jambs of the outer;
beneath is an oak screen, open upper panels with heads like that of chancel
screen, presented as a memorial for Sydney Lidderdale Smith 1817 - 1903, Canon
Residentiary of Hereford Cathedral; within the tower an 1829 Benefactions board
including: "J Powell of Pengethley by his will dated 1605; gave out of the White-
house Farm in the parish of Sellack aforesaid Twenty Shillings per annum payable
on All-Saints day and to be equally distributed at Christmas and Easter for ever";
on north wall a wall notice possibly late C19 to early C20 by Ecclesiastical
Insurance Office, Lim, entitled "Frequent Causes of Destruction of Churches by
Fire" listing furnace pipes, oil lamps, workmen (especially plumbers), dust and
matches, organ stores, organ repairers, organ music and desk lights, and the
absence of lightning conductors; late C17 chest with rectangular panels and
lock-plate noted by RCHM absent at time of re-survey (October 1985). (BoE, p 144;
RCHM Vol I, p 84-6).


Listing NGR: SO5430626391

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.