History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Braybrooke, Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4539 / 52°27'14"N

Longitude: -0.8762 / 0°52'34"W

OS Eastings: 476466

OS Northings: 284592

OS Grid: SP764845

Mapcode National: GBR BSS.1BM

Mapcode Global: VHDR0.RLN5

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 397902

Location: Braybrooke, Kettering, Northamptonshire, LE16

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

Civil Parish: Braybrooke

Built-Up Area: Braybrooke

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Braybrooke All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Market Harborough

Listing Text

BRAYBROOKE NEWLAND STREET
SP 78 SE
2/3
25/2/57 Church of All Saints
II*
Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, Griffin Chapel c 1520. Restored C17, 1892,
1898, 1933. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with limestone
dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with aisles,
chancel, south porch. West tower, late C14, 2 stages, has 4 diagonal
buttresses, plinth, string courses and cusped lozenge frieze with
gargoyles. All openings have hood moulds and mask stops. First stage
has, to west, a heavily moulded doorway and above it, a restored double
lancet. North and south sides have each a single light and, to south
only, a clock. Second stage has on each side a double lancet bell
opening, Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on the
cardinal faces, and is topped with a weathercock. Nave and aisles have
moulded parapets, coped east gable with cross, diagonal buttresses and
openings with hood moulds. 3-bay north aisle has to north 2 C15 double
lancets with flat heads and to west a C14 doorway. East end has a C15
triple lancet, and west end a C14 single lancet. 4-bay south aisle has 3
C15 double lancets, that to west with late C19 Geometrical tracery. West
end has a C15 triple lancet. 2-bay chancel has to north 2 blocked
doorways and above, 2 C17 mullioned casements. East end has a diagonal
buttress and a c1300 triple lancet with intersecting tracery, partly
blocked. 3-bay Griffin chapel, buttressed throughout, has chamfered
plinth, moulded band and coped parapet, and Perpendicular windows with
panel tracery and hood moulds. East end has 5-light lancet, South side
has a central moulded doorway and above, three 4-light lancets.
Parapeted and gabled south porch, C14, reroofed 1933, has chamfered
doorway with round shafts and hood mould. Above it a blank dial. In
each side, a single chamfered light. Roll moulded inner doorway c 1300
has shafts and hood mould with mask stops. Chamfered and rebated tower
arch has single round shafts and late C20 glazed screen. 4-bay nave
arcades, C13 and C14, restored 1892, have round demi shafts with stiff-
leaf capitals in the north-east bay, and an octagonal demi-shaft in the
south-east bay. Octagonal piers, double chamfered and rebated arches
with hood moulds. Arch braced C15 roof, restored 1898. Both aisles
have a fielded panelled dado, 1898. North aisle has a stained glass east
window, 1957, and to its right a chamfered doorway to the rood stair.
Plain late C19 roof. South aisle has a C16 eastern arch with shafts and
a restored C15 oak screen. South side has fragments of wall painting and
C15 glass in the central window. Restored C15 roof with moulded timbers
and wall shafts. Chancel, reroofed 1933, has timber jambs and span beam
in place of the arch, the opening closed with a mid C20 screen. Above,
to the left, plank door to the rood loft. Griffin chapel, reroofed 1933,
has to north a 3-bay arcade with quatrfoil piers and heavily moulded 4
centred arches. East window flanked by single crocketed ogee headed
niches with brackets. To right, an arched piscina. South side has to
west an arched aumbry and C16 glass fragments in the east and west
windows. Fittings include C12 square font with interlace work, cross and
fishes, on C19 stem. Prayer desk, altar table and chair assembled from
carved and panelled C15 and C16 fragments. Late C19 oak eagle lectern
and octagonal pulpit. Framed brass donation board, 1684. Royal Arms,
George III. Memorials include noteworthy Griffin family monument c 1570,
ashlar, with pilastered base containing cartouche and scrolls. Corniced
main tier with crested shield flanked by single Ionic balusters, and
beyond, similar clustered triple balusters. Top with urn and beast
finials, and semicircular centrepiece containing a shell. Moulded
medallion with over life size wreathed head, c 1575, possibly from
Braybrooke Castle. Above it, an achievement of Arms. Scrolled painted
marble cartouche, 1691. Marble tablet with crest and apron, 1759.
Restored chest tomb with quatrefoil panelled sides and a single shield.
Sources: Pevsner
G Pitcher - Guide to Braybrooke Church.


Listing NGR: SP7646684592

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.