History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gothic Cottage and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Forebridge, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.803 / 52°48'10"N

Longitude: -2.1133 / 2°6'47"W

OS Eastings: 392458

OS Northings: 322827

OS Grid: SJ924228

Mapcode National: GBR 288.6JV

Mapcode Global: WHBDT.HTW2

Entry Name: Gothic Cottage and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 16 February 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383998

Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST17

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Town: Stafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Forebridge

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Stafford

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stafford St Paul, Forebridge

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stafford

Listing Text


STAFFORD

SJ9222NW
590-1/11/53

LICHFIELD ROAD
(South West side)
No.132
Gothic Cottage and attached wall

GV
II

House, now shops and office. 1840-2. Brick with ashlar
dressings, mostly painted; fishscale tile roof with brick
stacks. L-plan. Tudor style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 2-window range, left half breaks forward
under gable. Plain plaster plinth; wide eaves and verges with
decorative bargeboards. Ground floor has rectangular oriel to
left on enriched brackets, with 4-light mullioned and
transomed window replaced by C20 plate glass; projecting
window to right, originally of 3 lights, now with C20 plate
glass. 1st floor has 3-light projecting window and similar
2-light window in gabled half-dormer. Right end stack with
diagonal shafts.
Left return to Red Lion Street has left end projecting under
gable and projecting lateral stack with diagonal shafts to
right. Central entrance has 4-centred head in square-headed
surround with carved spandrels and brattishing. 3-light window
to each floor to left of entrance and similar light above.
Ashlar panel with shield to stack. Rear has small 2-storey
wing, small yard, and boundary wall with entrance.
HISTORY: built on the site of the workhouse for Castlechurch
parish.
(Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A
History of Stafford (from VCH): London: 1979-: 231).

Listing NGR: SJ9245822827

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.