This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0498 / 54°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.802 / 2°48'7"W
OS Eastings: 347589
OS Northings: 461834
OS Grid: SD475618
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.50
Mapcode Global: WH846.XGWQ
Entry Name: Royal Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 9 July 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383230
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/04/2017
NEW STREET (West side)
No. 2, Royal Bank of Scotland
Includes: No.55 CHURCH STREET.
Bank and offices, built for the Lancaster Banking Company. 1865, altered in 1956.
Sandstone ashlar, with a slate roof, and a gable chimney stack to the right of the Church Street elevation.
Square plan on a corner site. Two storeys above cellars and seven bays in a symmetrical composition, which is "hinged" in the centre so that three bays are in New Street and three in Church Street, with the central bay, which is slightly convex and contains the doorway, forming a canted corner between them. The ground floor has banded rustication above a plinth, and the first floor is articulated by simple pilasters. The ground-floor windows have been lowered to the plinth and have late C20 joinery. On the first floor the windows have 15-pane sashes with plain reveals, except for the one above the entrance, which has a moulded architrave, a projecting sill, and a simple cornice. The doorway has plain reveals, and panelled double doors below a large overlight.
Incorporated in the right-hand end of the Church Street facade is a Victorian cast-iron letter box.
Listing NGR: SD4758961834
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings