History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 24 with Attached Forecourt Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.049 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8048 / 2°48'17"W

OS Eastings: 347404

OS Northings: 461753

OS Grid: SD474617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.K8

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHK8

Entry Name: Number 24 with Attached Forecourt Wall

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383088

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/56 (South side)
22/12/53 No.24
with attached forecourt wall
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE PARK
No.24)

GV II

House, now flats. Mid C18, altered c1800. Coursed sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings and chamfered quoins. Slate roof
with gable chimney stacks to right and left. Double-depth
plan.
3 storeys over a cellar and 5 bays. All the openings have
moulded architraves. The windows all have 12-pane sashes, of
diminishing height in successive storeys (some of the glazing
in the top windows may be original). The central doorway, up 3
steps, has a door of 6 raised and fielded panels below an
integral overlight with diagonal glazing bars trapping
semi-ellipses above and below and circles at the sides. The
level forecourt (on a site which slopes down from right to
left) is enclosed by a low wall, whose returned side is ramped
and bears cast-iron railings. On the far left, beyond the
forecourt, there is a doorway at cellar level.
The rear elevation has a full-height stair window above the
back door and, to the right, a Venetian window on the first
floor with Gothick glazing bars. Above and below it are
coupled windows.
INTERIOR: dogleg open-string staircase with 3 slender turned
balusters per tread, an altered ramped handrail with a
wreathed curtail. Doors with raised and fielded panels,
including double doors under a semi-elliptical archway of
c1800 which connects the first-floor reception rooms.
Adam-style fireplace in one reception room.
HISTORY: The house was used as offices by Paley and Austin
(Architects) from c1870 until c1940.


Listing NGR: SD4740461761

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/56 (South side)
22/12/53 No.24
with attached forecourt wall
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE PARK
No.24)

GV II

House, now flats. Mid C18, altered c1800. Coursed sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings and chamfered quoins. Slate roof
with gable chimney stacks to right and left. Double-depth
plan.
3 storeys over a cellar and 5 bays. All the openings have
moulded architraves. The windows all have 12-pane sashes, of
diminishing height in successive storeys (some of the glazing
in the top windows may be original). The central doorway, up 3
steps, has a door of 6 raised and fielded panels below an
integral overlight with diagonal glazing bars trapping
semi-ellipses above and below and circles at the sides. The
level forecourt (on a site which slopes down from right to
left) is enclosed by a low wall, whose returned side is ramped
and bears cast-iron railings. On the far left, beyond the
forecourt, there is a doorway at cellar level.
The rear elevation has a full-height stair window above the
back door and, to the right, a Venetian window on the first
floor with Gothick glazing bars. Above and below it are
coupled windows.
INTERIOR: dogleg open-string staircase with 3 slender turned
balusters per tread, an altered ramped handrail with a
wreathed curtail. Doors with raised and fielded panels,
including double doors under a semi-elliptical archway of
c1800 which connects the first-floor reception rooms.
Adam-style fireplace in one reception room.
HISTORY: The house was used as offices by Paley and Austin
(Architects) from c1870 until c1940.


Listing NGR: SD4740461761

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.