History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22, Castle Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0491 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.805 / 2°48'17"W

OS Eastings: 347393

OS Northings: 461753

OS Grid: SD473617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.J8

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHH8

Entry Name: 22, Castle Park

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290779

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383086

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/54 (South side)
22/12/53 No.22

GV II*

House. Early C18, altered and extended to the rear in 1765-66
and refronted c1800. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings on
the front, random and coursed rubble and some ashlar at the
rear. Slate roof with gable chimney stack to the right.
L-plan, with a double-depth main range and a long narrow range
to the rear.
3 storeys over a cellar and 2 bays under a prominent eaves
cornice. All the windows have moulded architraves; those on
the ground and first floors have 12-pane sashes, those on the
second have 9 panes. On the left the doorway, up 5 steps with
nosings, has a simple moulded architrave, a pulvinated frieze
and a cornice, and a door with 9 raised and fielded panels
under an over light with radiating glazing bars. The left edge
of the facade is slightly overlapped by No.24 (qv) which
projects, while the top floor rises above both adjoining
properties.
At the rear, the tall round-headed stair window, with imposts
and a keystone, has Gothick intersecting glazing bars. The
south end of the long rear wing - apparently adapted from a
former outbuilding, since the east wall incorporates a blocked
C17 doorway - was remodelled c1765 with a 2-storey canted bay,
of ashlar on the first floor, which is approached externally
by a fine curved stone staircase of nosed steps with iron
stick balusters.
INTERIOR: unusual plan resulting from alterations and
additions. 2 ground-floor rooms contain very large rectangular
stone fireplaces; the first of these rooms has doors with
raised and fielded panels with L-hinges and a built-in
cupboard with butterfly hinges. Geometrical staircase with
stick balusters and a wreathed curtail. Adam-style fireplaces
in the first-floor rooms, including the drawing room in the
rear wing.
HISTORY: the house probably antedates its neighbour, No.20
(qv), and was incorporated into it by Allan Harrison c1740.
The rear extension was built at the expense of George Wilson
(of Abbot Hall, Kendal) who married Harrison's daughter, Ann.
The clerk of works appears to have been Richard Gillow. At
that time the house was let to Thomas Saul, who later built
High Street House, High Street, (qv).


Listing NGR: SD4739261749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.