History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Talbot Roman Catholic Primary School

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7636 / 53°45'48"N

Longitude: -2.7152 / 2°42'54"W

OS Eastings: 352948

OS Northings: 429927

OS Grid: SD529299

Mapcode National: GBR T7J.23

Mapcode Global: WH85M.8N9N

Plus Code: 9C5VQ77M+CW

Entry Name: Former Talbot Roman Catholic Primary School

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392186

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: University

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Ashton-on-Ribble St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Description


PRESTON

SD5229 WESTON STREET
941-1/6/289 (East side)
former Talbot RC Primary School

GV II

School, currently undergoing restoration and conversion as
library. 1847-9 (dated 1849 over south doorway). Uncoursed
brown sandstone rubble, with dressings of lighter-coloured
sandstone and graduated slate roof. L-plan formed by a long
rectangular range at right-angles to the street containing 2
large halls with a lateral passage between them, with a
transept at the east end of the north side. Early English
style. One storey under a high steeply-pitched roof, 7+1+7
bays, with low side walls and a large west gable to the
street. The gable has side buttresses with 2 offsets, a
stepped group of 3 tall cusped lancets in the centre flanked
by similar but smaller lancets, and a coped gable with the
stool of a former finial. The south front has matching
buttresses, coupled cusped lancets in each bay (but the 3
easternmost bays now covered by a later C19 addition), and in
the centre a wide one-and-a-half storey gabled porch breaking
forwards slightly with a taller octagonal stair turret
attached to its right-hand corner; the porch has a 2-centred
arched doorway with shafts, a tablet above this with raised
lettering "IHS / MUNIFICENTIAE / GULIELMI TALBOT / SOCIETATI
PERENNE MONUMENTUM / [1]849" (1st digit missing), and a window
of 3 stepped cusped lights in the gable; the turret has small
lancets and a conical-octagonal cap. The roof has a small
dormer above the porch and 2 ventilators on the ridge. The
rear and north transept are in matching style (but former rear
porch, subsequently altered as chimney, under reconstruction
at time of survey), and the transept has one taller 2-light
window with a gable over. Irregular extension to rear of
transept, in similar style and materials.
INTERIOR: wide central passage with inner porch at south end,
large 2-centred arches in centre and coupled segmental-pointed
windows beyond (with shafts) all opening into halls on each
side; spiral staircase to attic over passage; large halls,
each with 6 large arch-braced hammerbeam roof trusses which
have trefoil arcading above the collars; 3-bay arcade to
transept, which also has hammerbeam roof but of differing
design. History: probably served as both church and school
before opening of church of St Walburge (q.v.) in 1854. Forms
group with that church, which it resembles in materials and
roof construction.


Listing NGR: SD5294829927

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.