History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moss Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7644 / 53°45'51"N

Longitude: -2.7113 / 2°42'40"W

OS Eastings: 353210

OS Northings: 430013

OS Grid: SD532300

Mapcode National: GBR T83.QJ

Mapcode Global: WH85M.BN51

Entry Name: Moss Cottage

Listing Date: 25 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392022

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: University

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD53SW FYLDE ROAD
941-1/1/138 (South side)
25/01/89 No.99
Moss Cottage

II

Cotton manufacturer's house, now in multiple occupation. 1818
(dated on rainwater head), with later C19 addition; altered.
Red brick (earlier portion recently cleaned of paint), with
sandstone dressings and slate roofs. Plan composed of 2
distinct elements: the original small villa double-depth and
double-fronted, and a receding large crosswing added to the
left. The villa, in Regency Gothick style, a symmetrical
2-storey 3-window range, has a moulded 4-centred arched
doorway in the centre, with a recessed studded plank door and
flanking arched niches, a tall 2-light window above, and two
3-light windows on each floor, all these windows with arched
lights and those at ground floor with hoodmoulds; and a
shallow hipped and slightly swept roof with oversailing
boarded eaves, and side-wall chimneys. Right-hand return wall
has 3 similar windows at ground floor and 2 above, all of 2
lights; rear has (inter alia) a pointed arched doorway and a
tall stair-window. The added wing, which is larger and in
neo-Tudor style, has a gabled facade with kneelers and finials
(etc), a large canted mullion-and-transom bay window at ground
floor with a pierced traceried parapet, 2 cross-windows at 1st
floor and a 3-light mullioned window to the attic, with
hoodmoulds; and a steeply-pitched roof with clustered and
corniced stone chimneys on a square stack. The long left
return wall, in similar style, has (inter alia) a shallow
gabled wing. History: built for William Taylor, then manager
of Horrocks's Moss Mill (q.v.) and subsequently owner of the
former Tulketh Mill, a leading figure in the town until his
death in 1852.


Listing NGR: SD5321030013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.