This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5459 / 54°32'45"N
Longitude: -1.9305 / 1°55'49"W
OS Eastings: 404590
OS Northings: 516736
OS Grid: NZ045167
Mapcode National: GBR GHYW.V6
Mapcode Global: WHB4D.9ZYY
Entry Name: Deepdale Aqueduct (That Part in Barnard Castle Civil Parish)
Listing Date: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388855
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ0416NE VERE ROAD
770-1/3/226 (West side (off))
Deepdale Aqueduct (that part in
Barnard Castle CP)
Aqueduct with footbridge over River Tees. Dated 1898 on
founder's plaque. Engineers: Head Wrighton & Co. Ltd, Thornaby
on Tees. For the Stockton and Middlesbrough Water Board.
Cast-iron aqueduct and footbridge parapets with rock-faced
stone steps and piers. Castle style. 2 pairs of round
cast-iron piers have plinths on stone bases, label moulding
below plain capitals, and carry beams of deck. Octagonal piers
at east end have corbel table and coped parapet. Parapet walls
step up from piers and abut tall octagonal turrets with
battlemented parapets entered by stone steps from footbridge.
Wrought-iron lattice parapets from these flank water pipe and
carry timber deck of foot bridge, raised over water pipe.
See also Startforth CP.
Listing NGR: NZ0459016736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings