This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8858 / 54°53'8"N
Longitude: -2.9638 / 2°57'49"W
OS Eastings: 338268
OS Northings: 554982
OS Grid: NY382549
Mapcode National: GBR 7CRY.4C
Mapcode Global: WH802.FGWC
Entry Name: Morton Community Centre
Listing Date: 1 June 1949
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291709
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386921
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2
Electoral Ward/Division: Morton
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle, Morton St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3854 WIGTON ROAD
671-1/15/316 (South side)
01/06/49 Morton Community Centre
(Formerly Listed as:
Also known as: The Manor WIGTON ROAD.
House, now community centre. Early C19 on the site of an
earlier farmhouse. Cement-rendered walls on chamfered plinth
(all dressings of calciferous sandstone), with V-jointed
quoins and dentilled eaves cornice. Hipped graduated
greenslate roof; rendered ridge chimney stacks.
2 storeys, 5 bays with a 6-bay return (the garden facade)
forming an L-shape; set in its own grounds (Morton Park)
reputedly laid out by Gilpin, the landscape gardener.
Projecting central ashlar porch has engaged Ionic columns,
double panelled doors in stone architrave under Chance family
motto DEO NON FORTUNA and dentilled broken segmental pediment.
Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves, those on
upper floor are smaller.
Garden facade is of 3 builds; left single bay; central 2 bays
and right 3 bays. 3-bay part has central panelled door and
radial fanlight within in-antis Ionic surround. Flanking
squared bay windows, that on left converted to French window.
Sash windows above in stone architraves. 2-bay part has left
canted bay window and sash windows in stone architraves. Left
bay has ground floor C20 casement windows in stone
INTERIOR retains many original features; marble fireplaces in
principal rooms, internal panelled shutters and panelled doors
in panelled reveals. C19 cantilever staircase with patterned
cast-iron balusters and moulded wooden handrail. Moulded
plaster ceilings. Panelled wooden billiard room with heraldic
shields is a late C19 addition. Internal inscription states
that Sir Robert Chance gave this house to the citizens of
Carlisle as a Community Centre in 1944; he died in December
1960 and the centre was opened 29 April 1967.
For further details see article by Blake Tyson, "Newlaithes
Hall", CWAAS Trans.,NS XC.
(Cumb. & West. Antiquarian & Archaeological Soc., New Series:
Blake Tyson: XC: Newlaithes Hall: P.235-252).
Listing NGR: NY3826854982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings