History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queen Mary Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in South Weald, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6232 / 51°37'23"N

Longitude: 0.2637 / 0°15'49"E

OS Eastings: 556799

OS Northings: 194025

OS Grid: TQ567940

Mapcode National: GBR VZ.C5F

Mapcode Global: VHHN2.JG8H

Plus Code: 9F32J7F7+7F

Entry Name: Queen Mary Chapel

Listing Date: 21 October 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373586

Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM14

County: Essex

Electoral Ward/Division: South Weald

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: South Weald St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in



TQ59SE WEALD ROAD, South Weald
723-1/8/294 (North East side)
21/10/58 Queen Mary Chapel


Formerly known as: Queen Mary Chapel Weald Park.
House. Mid-C16, 1857, C20. Red brick, peg-tiled roof. L-plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Front, SW elevation, 2 distinct blocks,
(1) to SE, mid-C16, (2) to NW C19, in same style. (1) Tudor
brickwork, ends defined by octagonal buttresses with three
diminishing stages surmounted by octagonal pinnacles with
moulded bases and crown shaped capitals. Gable ends have
moulded copings with octagonal pinnacle at the apex, similar
to those on buttresses. Ground floor, C19 door, framed and
panelled, with linenfold decoration, simple flat hood above,
C19 5-light casement with transoms and diamond leaded panes.
String course above. First floor, C19 oriel window of 4
casements with transoms and one light on each return, with
diamond leaded lights. (2) C19 work on smaller scale in
similar style with buttresses and pinnacles, ground floor,
3-light casement with transoms and diamond leaded panes. NW
elevation, `chancel' and C19 wing to NE with in-set single bay
link between. `Chancel' ground-floor door with 4 flush panels
under triangular door head and 3-light fixed window with
4-centre heads, diamond panes, both under common hood
moulding. First floor, central 3-light casement with arched
heads, hood-mould. Link bay, water head with date 1857 and
ground floor lean-to porch, door framed and panelled under
triangular head. Wing similar style as `chancel' but no corner
buttresses - gables terminate on kneelers, apex pinnacles as
rest. Ground floor, 2-light casement window, arched heads and
lattice panes. C20 rectangular casement window with lattice
panes and string course above. First floor, 2-light casement
window as on ground floor. C20 single-storey additions
continue to NE, not included in this listing. SE garden
elevation. Gable wall of mid-C16 block is least altered,
octagonal corner buttresses, gable with coping and pinnacles
prominent, ground slopes away from plinth with moulded
chamfer. Ground floor central original doorway and side
windows with 4-centred heads, each in rectangular recesses and
under common hood mould. C19 door frame and door with
linenfold panelling, windows diamond leaded panes, were
casements but now fixed. First floor, 7-light central window,
hollow moulded mullions, arched heads under hood mould. To NE
C19 elevation set back with gable end pinnacles, ground floor,
3 fixed windows with 2-centre heads, diamond lattice panes.
Door with lower panes, upper glazing with glazing bars, 3x3
panes. First floor, 2 similar windows each with 2-light
casements and diamond leaded panes. Deep, full length lean-to
pentice roof supported by 2 granite piers with Corinthian
capitals, C20 interlocking tiles. SW rear elevation, rear wall
of phase (1) block has central crow-stepped stack, 2
diagonally set shafts, rebuilt. Ground floor (under pentice
roof) C19 2-centre inserted window, lattice panes. First
floor, on either side of stack, SE inserted 2-centre headed
doorway with iron balcony, door with trefoiled light. NW of
stack, inserted 3-light window, arched heads and diamond
lattice panes, gable end of C19 wing, kneelers and pinnacle at
apex. In internal angle of blocks, second water head, dated
INTERIOR much refurbished - lower section of original buttress
at NE angle of phase (1) block visible. Other evidence now
removed or obscured including original fireplace openings. The
building has been called `Princess Mary's Chapel' (RCHM) but
was interpreted by the Commission as a lodge and not a chapel.
C19 additions have created a chapel shape, but the arrangement
of 2 heated rooms in a building by the public road leading to
the C16 Weald Hall (demolished 1950) suggests that the
ascription as a lodge is correct. Queen Mary Chapel, the
granary at Weald Park (qv) and the Lodge to Rochetts (qv) form
a group.
(RCHM: Central and SW Essex: 216).

Listing NGR: TQ5679994025

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.