History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hope Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4513 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6215 / 2°37'17"W

OS Eastings: 356907

OS Northings: 172665

OS Grid: ST569726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.4L

Mapcode Global: VH88M.HSZ8

Entry Name: Hope Chapel

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293087

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379793

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5672NE HOPE CHAPEL HILL, Hotwells
901-1/13/1437 (North side)
08/01/59 Hope Chapel

II

Congregational chapel, now hall. 1786. Possibly by Daniel
Hague. Altered, largely refenestrated and extended 1838.
Render over Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, hipped
slate roof.
Hall and N vestry wing. A symmetrical 4-bay S front has
clasping pilasters with round-topped sunken panels separated
by a lozenge, to a cornice and parapet, raised and pedimented
to the centre; 2 central 4-centre arched doorways linked by a
hoodmould, with large foliate stops and ribbed doors, beneath
two 3-light, and flanking 2-light, windows with cusped,
intersecting tracery. 5-bay W elevation of Y-tracery windows
with a transom quatrefoil panel. Similar E elevation. Vestry
of 1838 has 6/6-pane sash windows.
INTERIOR: hall with a balcony on 4 sides with quatrefoil
panels, on cast-iron columns with fluted, moulded capitals;
organ recess to north end at gallery level; queen post truss
roof.
Founded by Ladies Hope and Glenorchy for Calvinistic
evangelical worship, and linked to Hague by similar window
details at St Paul's Portland Square. Extended by a single bay
to the N in 1838, when the windows were replaced.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 176; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 412; An
Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell
C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 63).


Listing NGR: ST5690772665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.