History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 4 and Attached Front Basement Railings and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4511 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6205 / 2°37'13"W

OS Eastings: 356980

OS Northings: 172642

OS Grid: ST569726

Mapcode National: GBR C2L.CN

Mapcode Global: VH88M.JSJF

Entry Name: Number 4 and Attached Front Basement Railings and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379527

Location: Bristol, BS8

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Holy Trinity with St Andrew the Less and St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Clifton

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5672NE DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells
901-1/13/1421 (West side)
08/01/59 No.4
and attached front basement railings
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
DOWRY SQUARE
No.4)

GV II*

Attached house. 1748. Probably by Thomas Paty. Brick with
limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks and a pantile
double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3
storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range.
A symmetrical front has rusticated pilaster strips to a
moulded coping and parapet, and rusticated quoins to the
pedimented middle section which breaks forward. The doorway
has a mid C19 porch of fluted columns on octagonal Pennant
plinths with acanthus capitals to an entablature and dentil
cornice, 2-panel door with roundels and margin and overlights.
Cambered heads with 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes; 3
hipped dormers.
INTERIOR: mid C19 decorative scheme, with an entrance hall
divided by flat arch with guilloche and Greek key panels and
cornices, doorways with cornices and 2-panel doors and
panelled shutters, with a rear mid C20 stair.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached mid C19 cast-iron spike-headed
railings with foliate decoration, and capped piers.
Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building
continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house
and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly
rendered, to various designs.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 105; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 157).


Listing NGR: ST5698072642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.