History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Hull Hydraulic Power Company premises

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston upon Hull, Hull, City of Kingston upon Hull

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7502 / 53°45'0"N

Longitude: -0.3339 / 0°20'2"W

OS Eastings: 509960

OS Northings: 429488

OS Grid: TA099294

Mapcode National: GBR GPM.32

Mapcode Global: WHGFK.VZ5X

Plus Code: 9C5XQM28+3C

Entry Name: Former Hull Hydraulic Power Company premises

Listing Date: 7 March 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293296

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387485

Location: Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU2

County: City of Kingston upon Hull

Electoral Ward/Division: Myton

Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sculcoates All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Kingston upon Hull

Listing Text


KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA0929SE CATHERINE STREET
680-1/18/247 (East side)
07/03/91 Former Hull Hydraulic Power Company
premises

II

Former works of the Hull Hydraulic Power Company, now a
workshop. 1875. By Henry Robinson of London. Red brick with
blue brick dressings and rendered plinth. Single storey; 4x2
windows. Windows are round-arched cast-iron glazing bar
casements. Right return has a blocked door to left and a
window to right. There is no separate roof, the whole building
acting as support for a sectional cast-iron tank which is
inscribed "Stacey Davis & Co., Phoenix Foundry, Derby". In
operation, water was pumped from the River Hull into the roof
tank where it was allowed to settle. It was then raised to
pressure by steam pumps and supplied by underground pipes to
consumers. Hydraulic power was frequently used in the
oil-extracting industry and for firefighting. This undertaking
was the first of its kind to be established by Act of
Parliament in the UK. It was also Hull's first public utility.
At its fullest extent, c1900, the system supplied about 200
consumers as far away as the Old Harbour. The operating
company closed down in 1947. Hydraulic power companies
operated in a similar way in a number of cities in the late
C19, notably in London and Manchester.
(Exhibit in Yorkshire Water Museum, Springhead, Hull;
Industrial Archaelogy: Hudson, K: Hydraulic Power; Plaque on
building placed by City Council).


Listing NGR: TA0996029488

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.