History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade I Listed Building in Rugeley, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8134 / 52°48'48"N

Longitude: -1.9359 / 1°56'9"W

OS Eastings: 404416

OS Northings: 323991

OS Grid: SK044239

Mapcode National: GBR 39M.PC3

Mapcode Global: WHBDX.7KD0

Plus Code: 9C4WR377+9J

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 12 January 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294024

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273785

Location: Blithfield, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WS15

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Blithfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Blithfield St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 02 SW; 13/78

Church of St. Leonard




Parish Church. c1300; vestry added 1829-30; porch added 1860 by
Street, chancel restored 1851 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
Ashlar; slate roof to chancel with crested ridge tiles and coped verges.
West tower with diagonal buttresses, four-bay nave with aisles and south porch,
three-bay chancel with angle buttresses and octagonal north vestry with buttress to each angle.

West tower: two stages with crenellated parapet; buttresses die away
below belfry stage which is later probably mid C19 addition; 2-light
West window (restored) with hood mould terminating in heads, small
square-headed window above containing two trefoil-arched lights with super
mullions over, pointed 2-light belfry openings with hood moulds
terminating in heads. Nave: Late C15/16 clerestory windows of three
trefoil-headed lights under a 4-centred arch. Aisles have square-headed windows
of two ogee-trefoil arch lights, and moulded parapet. Gabled south porch
with pointed arch to pointed south door, and arch-braced roof. Chancel:
pointed windows with Y-tracery, bay divisions marked by buttresses,
pointed east window of five lights with intersecting tracery; recess on
South side containing recumbent effigy of a priest, early C13. Vestry:
Tudor arch door to west; 3-light window to north and 2-light window
to east, both consisting of trefoil arched lights under a square head.

INTERIOR: Nave arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical
columns with moulded capitals, hoodmoulds terminating in heads; wide
pointed chancel arch with continuous roll moulding and broad fillet;
pointed tower arch with similar moulding, restored; nave roof of c.1853
a copy of the original of c1500, nearly flat with moulded tie beams,
principal rafters and ridge piece, and chamfered common rafters; C19
scissor braced chancel roof; sedilia with trefoil headed niches and
continuous hood mould; double piscina with trefoil ogee arch and
quatrefoil tracery over, and two scalloped basins. FITTINGS: C12
pillar piscina with scalloped bowl; C14 font, octagonal with roll
moulded bands; C15 bench ends with carved tracery and poppyheads; C15
rood screen restored by Bodley in 1881, four lights each side of a central
opening, frieze and cresting; C19 pulpit attributed to Pugin, octagonal
with panelled sides; altar rail, mid-C19, brass. MONUMENTS: Chancel:
Chest tomb, Sir Lewis Bagot died 1534, effigies of Sir Lewis and his 2
wives incised on top; Chest tomb, Thomas Bagot d. 1541, and wife, 2
figures incised on top; chest tomb, Sir Richard Bagot d. 1596 and wife,
2 recumbent effigies, Sir Richard in plate armour, a helmet with goats
head crest is hung above the tomb; incised slab on floor to Francis
Aston d. 1593 and wife; cartouche to Hervey Bagot d. 1755; three late
C17/early C18 aedilular wall plaques, one with Ionic columns surmounted
by urn spouting flame, looped up curtains to sides, the others have
Corinthian columns, foliated brackets and open top pediments containing
coats of arms. Vestry: two wall plaques, Sir Edward Bagot d. 1673,
semi-circular head surmounted by coat of arms and flanking cherubs,
the other double, Sir Walter Bagot and Dame Jane Bagot, d. 1695, two
semicircular headed panels, outer foliated pilasters, gadrooned cornice.

Listing NGR: SK0441323990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.