This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2765 / 51°16'35"N
Longitude: 0.0189 / 0°1'7"E
OS Eastings: 540913
OS Northings: 154975
OS Grid: TQ409549
Mapcode National: GBR KK1.ZJ7
Mapcode Global: VHHPP.85TR
Entry Name: Church of St James the Greater
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294053
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287943
Location: Titsey, Tandridge, Surrey, RH8
Civil Parish: Titsey
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Limpsfield and Titsey
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 45SW TITSEY C.P. TITSEY HILL
7/287 Church of St. James
11.6.58 the Greater
Church. 1861 by J.L. Pearson. Dressed stone, wood gutters to plain tiled roof
with ridge cresting, shingled spire. Nave with gabled south porch, chancel with
north chapel and vestry; tower to the south east with stair turret on north east
angle. Two-light windows linked by cill bands throughout. Planked and studded
doors, vestry door to the north set diagonally behind freestanding column with
Interior: four bay nave with tiled centre aisle. Pointed chancel arch on marble
columns with leaf capitals, smaller, thinner shafts of marble support hood moulding.
Chancel steps formed of old tiles from previous Church; walls inlaid with decorative
coloured stone. Northern memorial chapel with quadripartite stone rib vaulting,
tiled floors and heraldic window to east. East end windows by Clayton and Bell.
Fittings: Stone arcaded reredos to chancel at east end, triple arched sedelia on
south chancel wall. Round wood pulpit with rich foliage carving, lattice patterning
and arcading. Square stone font on four squat piers.
Monuments: North chancel chapel north wall: To Emily Elizabeth Gomer, died 1872.
Recumbant female stone effigy by M. Noble under arched,cusped, niche and multi-
Centre of Chapel: Chest tomb to William Gomer died 1860. Marbled,hipped top with
carved crucifix, arcaded sides bearing heraldic shields on moulded plinth.
South Wall: Tomb to William Gomer 1895. Recumbant male figure by Thomas Brock,
elaborate cusped canopy on marble shafts by Pearson.
East Wall: Brasses to William Gresham. Died 1579.
Monument to Marmaduke Gresham. Died 1741. Stone cartouche with cherubs head below
and shield above.
Tomb to Anne Wright. Died 1713. White stone draperied cartouche.
North Nave Wall: Aedicular monument to Sir John Gresham. Memorial dated 1660.
Lugged central inscription panel, original, flanking draped scrolls, broken pediment
and shield on scroll brackets, C19 copy of an original.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 489.
Listing NGR: TQ4091354975
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings