This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2573 / 51°15'26"N
Longitude: -0.4718 / 0°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 506733
OS Northings: 152009
OS Grid: TQ067520
Mapcode National: GBR GDT.1K2
Mapcode Global: VHFVH.RNXJ
Entry Name: Hatchlands
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288599
Location: East Clandon, Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Civil Parish: East Clandon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: East Clandon
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SE EAST CLANDON C.P. THE STREET
Country House. 1756-7 for Admiral Edward Boscawen, interior designed by Robert Adam
(his earliest dated work) in 1759. Alterations to west front and staircase added by
Joseph Bonomi in 1797 for the Sumner family. Main entrance transferred and porch
added in C.1890 by Halsey Ricardo for Lord Rendel, music room added to north end of
west front in 1903 by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Red brick on stone plinth with low
pitched, hipped slate roofs. Original house half-H shape with entrance front to west,
now with extensions to north and new entrance to east. 2 storeys to east and south
fronts, 2 storeys and attics to northern service wing and west front of main house;
single storey music room.
Entrance front (East): Modillion eaves cornice with rear stacks to left and right.
Main house with two storey angle bays flanking recessed, 3 windowed centre range.
12-pane glazing bar sash fenestration. Single storey projecting porch (1889 by
Halsey Ricardo with concave sides containing arched niches. Flat front, rusticated
with pilaster-piers surmounted by stone spheres. Arched,traceried fanlight
over double doors of 6 fielded panels. Service wing set back to right. 2 storeys
and attic, glazing bar sash fenestration, 4 windows on each floor, squat windows to
attics. Two stacks, one to right end.
Left hand return front:- (South) 2 storeys, 7 bays with central bay angled and
projecting. Glazing bar sash fenestration.
Rear: Old entrance front: 2 storeys and attic with modillion eaves, 5 bay front,
central bay in shallow break under small pediment. Glazing bar sash windows. 7
windows across first and attic floors, 3 windows to central break. Rendered, paired
Doric pilasters to ground floor centre with entablature over. Double doors to
centre in flanking lights under arched traceried fanlight, lintel extending to form
string course between pilasters. Single storey music room to left; 3 bays with
stone angle quoins and aprons below the windows. Stone balustrade over eaves cornice
with urns on square newels to ends. Stone coping to shaped gable end to left.
Central ridge lantern under dome and sphere finial, Three 15-pane sash windows
under gauged brick and stone keystoned heads, alternating with arched niches under
cut and rubbed brick garlands.
Interior:- Library: Formerly the drawing room. Fine Adam panelled ceiling with
central circle. Neo-classical Piranese type of decoration with classical figures.
Gilding and painting of Edwardian period. Fine overdoors. Drawing room: Formerly
State Dining Room: Adam ceiling with central oval with scroll and shell patterns.
Fine gilt cornice with dolphins and further scrolls. Fine large fireplace
possibly by Rysbrack in white marble.Large caryatids supporting overmantle with
central carved panel containing chariotfigure. Dining Room: Created at end of C19.
Gilt panelled and plasterwork ceiling. White and coloured marble fireplace.
Modillioned eaves and egg and dart door mouldings. Morning Room: Formerly the
Lesser Dining Room. Scroll and dolphin freize, modillion cornice. The Garden Hall:
Former main entrance: By Joseph Bonomi neo-classical style, black and white marble
floor, with arched niches containing classical figures. Fine ceiling rose. The
Boscawen Room: shallow gadrooned plasterwork ceiling. The Staircase Hall: Plasterwork
frames on walls by Robert Adam, as is panelled ceiling. Further plasterwork musical
instruments and high relief foliage added to end of C19. The Music Room: Domed
ceiling with central garland-edged oculus. 2 Ionic columns to each end of the room
support outer edge of dome. Organ case with putti and swan neck pediment by Aumonier,
organ itself by J. S. Walker.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp 309-311.
COUNTRY LIFE: Articles; 17th September and 1 October 1953.
Listing NGR: TQ0673352009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings