This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6233 / 52°37'23"N
Longitude: -1.0023 / 1°0'8"W
OS Eastings: 467636
OS Northings: 303303
OS Grid: SK676033
Mapcode National: GBR 9P4.KDT
Mapcode Global: WHFKQ.KBY8
Entry Name: Church of St Catharine
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295074
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190684
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Houghton on the Hill
Built-Up Area: Houghton on the Hill
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Houghton on the Hill St Catharine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
HOUGHTON ON THE HILL
SK 60 SE MAIN STREET (South Side)
29.12.66 Church of St. Catharine
Church. C14-C15, restored 1861, chancel partly rebuilt 1857, and N porch of
1874. N porch designed by C. Kirk of Sleaford. Ashlar, coursed squared stone
and rubble stone with stone dressings and plain tile roofs, part parapetted.
Stone coped gables with finials and angle and diagonal buttresses with set-offs.
W tower and spire, nave, aisles, chancel and N and S porches. C14 tower of 3
stages with plinth, moulded bands and angle buttresses with set-offs. Small
W door, W window with Y tracery, N 1-light with clock face on front, further
1-lights to S.W.stair and 4 2-light bell openings with Curvilinear tracery.
Hood mould continues round tower. Above is a head frieze, battlements and recessed
spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and finial with weathercock. Quadruple chamfered
nave arch, the inner on polygonal responds. C14 4 bay N arcade with double chamfered
arches on quatrefoil piers. C15 4 bay S arcade, hollow and curved chamfered
arches, former to ground, latter on shafts. C19 4 bay roof. C14 N aisle but
with late Perp windows. 3 3-lights and E 4-light : 3 with c1900 stained glass.
Mid C14 sedilia remains in part. C15 roof and battlemented parapet. N door.
N porch, dated 1874, with hollow chamfered and moulded doorway on shafted responds.
Double chamfered chancel arch. C14 chancel, partly rebuilt 1857. 2 N windows
with Y and Reticulated tracery and C19 stained glass and 2 similar S windows.
S door. E window with restored Curvilinear tracery forming mouchettes. C19
stained glass. C19 5 bay roof with curved braces to collars. C15 S aisle, the
E window with stained glass by Ward and Hughes London, 1891, and 3 S windows
by T. Curtis of same firm, 1905. Piscina and double chamfered S doorway. C15
restored roof. C15 s porch, the openwork gable with short wall posts, tie beam,
curved braces, and curved struts. Welsh slate roof. C13 round front on 8 short
shafts. Marble wall monument to Mrs. A. Bent, died 1677. Cartouche with angel
heads, the inscription in place of arms. White's Leicestershire and Rutland,
1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6763603303
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings