This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8741 / 51°52'26"N
Longitude: -0.2135 / 0°12'48"W
OS Eastings: 523085
OS Northings: 221007
OS Grid: TL230210
Mapcode National: GBR J88.DVR
Mapcode Global: VHGP6.8505
Plus Code: 9C3XVQFP+JJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Thomas
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162097
Location: Knebworth, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG3
Civil Parish: Knebworth
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Knebworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 22 SW KNEBWORTH OLD KNEBWORTH LANE
3/150 Church of St Mary
and St Thomas
Parish church. Circa 1150 origin to chancel and nave. W tower
c.1420. N chancel chapel (Lytton Chapel) rebuilt c.1705. Chancel
restored mid-late C19. Flint and rubble with stone and brick
dressings. Steep plain tile roofs. The N chancel chapel is
plastered brick with red brick buttresses. 3-stage W tower has
diagonal buttresses. Battlemented. Polygonal SE staircase
turret. Lead spike. 3-light w window; W door with pointed arch
in square surround. Most windows of nave are C15 with cusped
lights. Those of N chancel chapel are original wood mullioned
and transomed with leaded panes. Chancel has Norman Revival
style round arch lights. Gabled S porch Probably c1845.
Interior: Large C15 W arch with attached single shafts. Nave
roof has C15 hammerbeam trusses with traceried panels above the
hammerbeams and crown posts from the collar braces. These
trusses alternate with simple braced collar trusses. Complete
C15 oak box pews decorated with miniature stepped buttresses.
Circa 1150 Norman chancel arch with scalloped capitals.
Outstanding internal feature is the Lytton Chapel which contains
a remarkable set of early C18 monuments to members of the Lytton
family. On N and S wall: to Sir William Lytton (d. 1705) and to
Sir George Strode (d.1707), both by Edward Stanton. Marble
Semi reclining fiqures. Reredos backqround. Columns supporting
segmental arches with cartouches, the former with life-sized
allegories outside the columns. On W wall: to Lytton Lytton
(d.l7l0), perhaps by Thomas Green. Standing figure in shell-
niche tabernacle frame. Fluted side pilasters. Broken segmental
pediment. Cupids either side. Also in chapel, brasses to Roland
Lytton (d.1582) and his 2 wives. Tablet to Anne Lytton (d.
1601). Epitaph to William Robinson Lytton Strode (d. 1732) by
John Annis: two kneeling figures facing sarcophagus. In chancel:
epitaph to Judith Strode (d. 1662) on I wall in baroque style in
black'marble with white marble bust. On N wall: brass to Lord
Simon Bache (d. 1414) formerly in chancel floor. C18 altar
table, with paired Doric colonnettes, the rear panelling with
Greek key. Iron gates to Lytton Chapel by Lutyens, the oriqinal
wrought iron gates removed to W arch. C18 pulpit with fielded
panels, incorporating C16/early C17 Flemish panels at top. Font
at W end c. 1480, limestone, octagonal. 3-light window in S nave
wall by Clayton and Bell (RCHM, 1910; Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL2308521007
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings