This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7522 / 51°45'7"N
Longitude: -0.339 / 0°20'20"W
OS Eastings: 514752
OS Northings: 207246
OS Grid: TL147072
Mapcode National: GBR H89.53W
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.27M4
Entry Name: Court House (Town Hall)
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163363
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peters
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Albans St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1582 Court House (Town Hall)
TL 1407 SE 9/59 8.5.50.
Facing north up St Peter's Street. Large, classical building of 1826 by
George Smith. 2 storeys, the upper a piano nobile with central portico of
4 fluted, Ionic columns, entablature and pediment with acroterion. This
rests on projecting, ground floor podium, with 3 sash windows. The side
bays on ground floor are blank. On first floor 3 large windows with
glazing bars framed by flat pilasters. Broader pilasters at angles also
support entablature behind which a low pitched, leaded roof ends in a
pediment on each return.
Listing NGR: TL1475207246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings