This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1207 / 54°7'14"N
Longitude: -0.8963 / 0°53'46"W
OS Eastings: 472236
OS Northings: 469988
OS Grid: SE722699
Mapcode National: GBR QN5S.RL
Mapcode Global: WHFBF.6PGC
Entry Name: The Temple of the Four Winds Including Retaining Wall
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Last Amended: 22 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329033
Location: Henderskelfe, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Henderskelfe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bulmer St Martin
Church of England Diocese: York
HENDERSKELFE TERRACE WALK
SE 76 NW
7/77 The Temple of the Four
Winds including containing
(formerly listed as The
Garden house in form of temple and steps and containing wall to it. 1724-26
by Sir John Vanbrugh with stone door-heads carved by Dan Harvey. Statues
possibly by J Nost. Internal plasterwork and scagliola of 1737-39 by
Francesco Vassali. Limestone ashlar, lead roof. Central square cella with
4 porticos on cruciform podium, surrounded to the north, west and south by a
containing wall, with steps to west. Podium with flight of 8 steps, flanked
on east and west facades by lead statues. Tetrastyle pedimented Ionic
porticos with plain tympanum and urns to angles. Half-glazed door in
architrave with elaborately carved door-head flanked by sashes with glazing
bars in shell niches. Ionic cornice surmounted by urns to angles.
Octagonal window to dome, surmounted by lantern. Interior: niches above the
doors contain busts of Vespasian, Faustina, Trajan and Sabina. Floor of
Portland stone inlaid with coloured antique marble. Columns and architraves
in black and gold scagliola. Containing wall and steps: 2 flights of
shallow steps flanked by balustrade. Wall approximately 3 metres in height
with chamfered plinth and coping stones. Massive corner buttresses with
tapering bases carrying 5 pulvinated courses surmounted by moulded cornice.
Howard G, Castle Howard Guidebook, 1972. Hussey C, English Gardens and
Landscapes 1700-1750, 1967. Lees-Milne J, English Country Houses: Baroque
1685-1715, 1970. HBMC, Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic
interest in England, Part 32, North Yorkshire: Castle Howard, Grade I.
Listing NGR: SE7223669988
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings