This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0631 / 52°3'46"N
Longitude: -2.7975 / 2°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 345423
OS Northings: 240819
OS Grid: SO454408
Mapcode National: GBR FG.D4PW
Mapcode Global: VH785.GDFT
Entry Name: Sugwas Court and Adjoining Stables
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 19 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 154256
Location: Stretton Sugwas, County of Herefordshire, HR4
Civil Parish: Stretton Sugwas
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Eaton Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
STRETTON SUGWAS CP -
SO 44 SE
5/71 Sugwas Court and
20.10.52 (formerly listed as
Sugwas Court and
Archway in Stables)
Country house and adjoining stables on site of former palace of Bishops of
Hereford. 1792 with later additions and alterations; a late C12 doorway is
incorporated in the late C18 stable block, further mid-C19 extension to stables.
Sandstone rubble plinth and sandstone rubble to rear of house, brick main
elevations; hipped Welsh slate roof; part sandstone rubble and part brick
to earlier stable block with brick later extension, Welsh slate roofs.
Irregular plan house, generally rectangular with two parallel ranges aligned
north/south and main entrance to west front, further wings extend to east at
rear, partly enclosing an inner courtyard and southern wing adjoins the stable
block; earlier wing aligned east/west and further extended to north and west
enclosing stable yard during mid-C19. House: part two and part three storeys
with cellars, west front: two storeys, five windows: two glazing bar tripartite
sashes with segmental heads flank central semi-circular headed window with
decorative glazing bar design, ground floor: one tripartite glazing bar sash
window and Jacobean style canted bow window to left and similar tripartite
window and bow window to right of doorway with open pediment supported on
brackets; semi-circular headed doorway with decorative fanlight and 6-panelled
door. South front: two-storey sections flank central pedimented slightly
forward break of three storeys, dentilled eaves cornice, string course at second
floor of central section. 2:1:2 glazing bar sash windows with rubbed brick flat
arched heads, central tripartite glazing bar sash windows with segmental heads.
Stables: two-storey part sandstone rubble and part brick earlier block incor-
porates semi-circular headed late C12 doorway with chamfered label largely
obscured by the later C19 brick stable block which extends to the north. North
front of earlier block: two segmental-headed coach openings, square-headed open-
ings to upper floor, later addition has decorative lozenge pattern brickwork,
three square-headed openings. Interior of later addition reveals the door in
north face of the earlier block.
Listing NGR: SO4542340819
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings