This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0668 / 54°4'0"N
Longitude: -2.0053 / 2°0'19"W
OS Eastings: 399750
OS Northings: 463424
OS Grid: SD997634
Mapcode National: GBR GPFD.NY
Mapcode Global: WHB6W.51CP
Plus Code: 9C6V3X8V+PV
Entry Name: Threshfield School
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324862
Location: Threshfield, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Threshfield
Built-Up Area: Grassington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
THRESHFIELD LINTON ROAD
9/105 Threshfield School
Grammar school, now primary school. Founded 1674 by Matthew Hewitt,
altered mid - late C19. Coursed gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2
storeys, 2 first-floor windows. Quoins. A low 2-storey porch to far left,
the board door in a chamfered quoined surround, the chamfer moulded and the
moulding carried across the segmental-arched doorhead. A continuous
hoodmould steps up over the lintel. Recessed chamfered mullion windows
throughout, of 3 stepped lights with hoodmould to porch first floor; 3 of 4
lights to ground floor, under a continuous hoodmould; 2 of 3 lights to
first floor, under the eaves. Moulded kneelers and gable coping to main
range and a porch where there are 3 bulbous finials. Corniced stack far
left. Right return: a 5-light window with hoodmould to ground floor, a
tall 4-light window to first floor. Interior: the building now has no
first floor; there is a C17 fireplace in the left gable wall at first-floor
level, and evidence of a stair position to the right of it. Matthew
Hewitt, a member of the local land-owning family, left money to build the
free school and to pay for a master and an usher; the master's heated room
was on the first floor, and the small room over the porch is thought to
have been an office for the usher. Hewitt also left money to pay for
scholarships to St. John's College, Cambridge, the first choice always to
be from Threshfield school. Until 1730 boys were sent yearly to Cambridge,
but between 1790 and 1820 only 3 went, and in 1859 the endowment became a
gift to the general revenues of the college. The internal alterations
belong to this period or shortly after. The historian of Craven, T.D.
Whitaker (1759 - 1821),was a pupil at the school in 1774-5 and records
'solitary evenings while a boy in the upper chamber of the Grammar School
at Threshfield"; He went afterwards to St. John's College, Canbridge. A.
Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1967, p164; T.D. Whitaker, History of
Craven, 1805, p274.
Listing NGR: SD9975063424
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings