This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7445 / 53°44'40"N
Longitude: -0.3323 / 0°19'56"W
OS Eastings: 510081
OS Northings: 428857
OS Grid: TA100288
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.G3
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V4YR
Entry Name: Statue of Charles Henry Wilson, Lord Nunburnholme
Listing Date: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297048
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387427
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
ALFRED GELDER STREET (North side)
Statue of Charles Henry Wilson, Lord Nunburnholme
(Formerly listed as Statue of Charles Henry Wilson 20 metres east of Guildhall)
Memorial statue by sculptor Derwent Wood, and erected c1907. Life size Portland stone standing figure in court dress. Square ashlar pedestal with plinth, corner volutes and dentillated cornice with corner breaks. Convex panelled south side has a crest and an inscription. Shaped granite base of two steps.
Charles Henry Wilson (1833-1907), shipowner and politician, was created first Lord Nunburnholme in 1906. He was the leading figure in Hull in the later 19th century serving as a Hull MP from 1874-1905. He was head of Thomas Wilson, Sons & Co., which in his time became the largest private steamship company in the world in the late nineteenth century. Commencing a steamship service from Norway and Sweden by 1843 the company were dominating the transportation of migrants from Scandinavia, Germany and Russia through Hull on route for America by the late 1850s. Thomas Wilson & Sons virtually held the monopoly for emigrant traffic from Scandinavia up to 1914.
Listing NGR: TA1008128857
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings