This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7438 / 53°44'37"N
Longitude: -0.3323 / 0°19'56"W
OS Eastings: 510083
OS Northings: 428776
OS Grid: TA100287
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.GC
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V5Y9
Plus Code: 9C5XPMV9+G3
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387663
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/23/241 (East side)
13/10/52 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C15, tower 1697. South porch, minor south aisle
and vestry added, and tower remodelled during restoration,
1861-63, by Sir George Gilbert Scott, cousin of the vicar.
Restored 1936-37. Ashlar. Roofs not visible.
Nave and chancel with clerestorey under continuous roof, north
and south aisles, west tower, south porch, vestry.
Nave has string course, coped parapet and gable. East end has
a 7-light Perpendicular lancet with panel tracery, moulded
surround and linked hoodmould with mask stops. Clerestorey has
on either side 12 elliptical-arched untraceried triple
lancets, the 6 to east being smaller.
Aisles have plinth, string course and coped parapet. North
aisle has 5 Decorated triple lancets with linked hoodmoulds,
and at the east and west ends a triple lancet with panel
tracery. At the north-west end, a coved and roll-moulded
doorway with double doors.
Major south aisle has a south-western angle buttress with
panelled pinnacle. East and west ends have a 4-light lancet
with panel tracery and hoodmould. Minor south aisle has has 3
buttresses. To right of the south porch, 2 Decorated triple
lancets and 2 cusped double lancets, all with hoodmoulds. East
end has a traceried triple lancet with hoodmould.
South-west porch has plinth, eaves band, parapet with pierced
quatrefoils and crocketed pinnacles on the west side. Lead
roof. Roll moulded doorway with double shafts, hoodmould and
mask stops. On either side, 2 cusped double lancets with
hoodmoulds, with a crocketed niche between the west windows.
Interior has scissor-braced roof with central arch brace on
corbels. Coved and keel moulded doorway with hoodmould.
Vestry, to south-east, has plinth, eaves band and coped
parapet. Buttressed west side has 2 segmental pointed triple
lancets with hoodmoulds, and to their left, a door. East side
is blank. South gable has a single angle buttress and a larger
segmental pointed 4-light lancet with hoodmould.
West tower, 4 stages, has plinth, string course and quatrefoil
frieze and traceried crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles.
Single angle buttress to north-west, and above the second
stage, octagonal corner turrets topped with panelled pinnacles
and crocketed spires. First stage has a moulded archway with
hoodmould and double shafts to north and south, forming a
through passage. Interior has 3-bay vault with chamfered ribs
and bosses. Fillet moulded doorway with double shafts and
hoodmould into the church. Plain chamfered doorway to the
tower. Second stage has to west a triple lancet with
hoodmould. To north and south, a niche topped with a crocketed
pinnacle. Third stage has a double lancet with hoodmould on
each side. Bell stage has a tall transomed double lancet bell
opening on each side, with linked hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR: nave and chancel have 3-bay arcades with triple
moulded 4-centred arches with hoodmoulds and angel stops.
Piers have 4 shafts and 4 hollows, and capitals carved with
animals and fish. Clerestorey has sill band and 12 windows.
Chancel arcades and clerestorey windows are smaller, and the
arcades have traceried Perpendicular style wooden screens
similar to the rood screen, which like the hanging rood is by
Temple Moore, 1912. East end has a C19 stained-glass window
and C19 Decorated style stone reredos with 7 cusped niches
topped with pinnacles. West end has tower arch similar to the
arcades, with triple shaft responds and C19 traceried glazed
wooden screen and gallery. Tower west window has C19 stained
North aisle has similar roof to nave, with painted ceiling to
the 3 eastern bays (chapel of the Nativity). Mid and late C19
stained-glass windows and Tudor arched north-west door. East
end has billeted traceried screen, wall panels and stalls
Minor south aisle has a 6-bay arcade, 1863, matching the nave
and chancel arcades. West end has a respond, and east end an
impost with an angel corbel. Very low pitched roof with
moulded tie beams. East and west ends have stained-glass
windows, 1856 and 1892. Major south aisle has similar roof to
minor south aisle and Tudor arched south-west doorway. Mid C19
stained glass. East end has a Gothic organ case c1905, and a
Tudor arched door to the choir vestry. Traceried panel
enclosing clergy vestry incorporates some C16 carved panels.
Choir vestry has low pitched roof with collars. Panelled walls
and overmantel with fitted cupboards, incorporating parts of
the C18 pulpit.
FITTINGS include C19 stalls and benches, altar with triptych,
traceried oak pulpit and Decorated style font.
MEMORIALS include a small brass, 1525, to John Harrison, and
incised slabs, 1629 and 1683. Alabaster bust to William
Dobson, 1666, with pedimented surround, cherub supporters,
Latin inscription and apron with skulls. Shaped marble
cartouche with crest and winged skull, to Philip Wilkinson,
1715. Marble and slate sarcophagus tablet to John Barker,
1816. 3 marble and slate tablets, mid and late C18. 2 marble
and slate obelisk tablets 1812 and 1816. Draped medallion to
John Scott, by J Loft, 1834.
Outside, to south, churchyard wall, mid C19, brick with
chamfered ashlar coping.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire; York and The East
Riding: London: 1972-: 271; Handbill provided by
Churchwardens: A brief sketch of the Church's history: Hull:
Listing NGR: TA1008328776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings