This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3544 / 50°21'15"N
Longitude: -3.5786 / 3°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 287794
OS Northings: 51692
OS Grid: SX877516
Mapcode National: GBR QS.R47G
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.7NP
Entry Name: Newcomen Cottage
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Last Amended: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297101
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387322
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8751 RIDGE HILL
673-1/5/207 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House. 1866, by Thomas Lidstone, surveyor and architect, for
himself. Mixed construction; stone rubble with red sandstone
and Salcombe sandstone dressings, ornamental timber-framing,
some slate-hanging; stone rubble stacks with different brick
chimneyshafts; slate roof.
PLAN: L-plan. Dining-room wing projecting forward in front of
the kitchen to left; low ancillary service block projecting
northwards behind the parlour to right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics. In the style of the C17
merchants' houses, with slate-hung gables and reused oriel
windows. The 2 main fronts, the east end of the parlour and
the south end of the dining-room wing, have stone rubble side
walls, sandstone ashlar ground-floor levels containing sash
windows with glazing bars (the dining-room ones with fat
glazing bars, possibly C18), first-floor small-panel
timber-framing and C17 oriel windows, and slate-hung gables
with smaller C17 oriels. The framing and oriels are obviously
mended and adapted to their new position but contain a great
deal of genuine C17 work. Front doorway immediately to right
of the front wing contains a large C19 studded door in
Jacobean style under a hood carried on late C17 carved scroll
brackets. Directly above, a C16 red sandstone single-light
window lighting the stair landing, another larger 3-light
version on the north side. The other sides in the same style
but using less salvaged work. East end is slate-hung.
Ornamental shaped bargeboards to the main gables except for
the plain replacement at the east end.
INTERIOR: As with the outside the main features of interest
are those salvaged from Newcomen House and the other houses on
Lower Street. The large open-well stair using early C18
twisted balusters incoporates a carved C17 panel; later C18
balusters on the stair from the first-floor landing to the
attics. Oak-panelled dining room with high quality moulded
plaster overmantel of c1640, featuring the Pentecost scene.
Other C17 plaster, notably the single rib ceiling featuring
fleur-de-lys and other motifs in the chamber over the parlour,
and the fragments on the first-floor landing (includes a
plaque dated 1636). Other reused work includes an oak-panelled
overmantel in the chamber over the dining room. Tudor-style
chimneypiece in the parlour probably C19.
HISTORY: The house was fitted out with the salvaged
architectural fragments rescued from the demolition in 1864 of
merchants' houses in Lower Street for the construction of the
Newcomen Road ramp (see sources for old drawing of Lower
Street). The most famous house demolished was the house of
Thomas Newcomen (1663-1729), inventor with Thomas Savery of
the atmospheric steam engine.
(Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore:
Listing NGR: SX8779451692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings