History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41, Cricketers Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Ingrave, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5973 / 51°35'50"N

Longitude: 0.3499 / 0°20'59"E

OS Eastings: 562856

OS Northings: 191332

OS Grid: TQ628913

Mapcode National: GBR NKL.Z41

Mapcode Global: VHJKS.03VV

Entry Name: 41, Cricketers Lane

Listing Date: 20 February 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373422

Location: Herongate and Ingrave, Brentwood, Essex, CM13

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Herongate and Ingrave

Built-Up Area: Ingrave

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Ingrave St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


723-1/13/186 (North East side)
20/02/76 No.41


House. Early C18, extended in mid-C19 and C20. Timber-framed,
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles and slate.
Main range facing SW, with original external stack at left end
and C19 smaller external stack at right end. Mid-C19 parallel
range of the same length to rear, with axial internal stack at
left end. C19 long single-storey lean-to extension to left of
both ranges, enclosing the stack of the front range. C19 long
single-storey lean-to extension to right of front range,
enclosing the stack. Small single-storey wing to rear centre,
and C20 conservatory beyond.
2 storeys. Ground floor, one splayed bay of C20 sashes at
front of C19 square bay, and one C20 sash of 8+8 lights. First
floor, one early C19 sash of 8+8 lights at left, with handmade
glass, and C20 equivalent at right. Central C20 half-glazed
door with flat canopy on profiled brackets. Replica Sun
firemark attached to top left of front elevation. Roof of
front range hipped, tiled; roof of rear range gabled, clad
with unusual grey slates. The left lean-to has one C20 sash;
the right lean-to had double vehicle doors; both have slate
roofs. The rear elevation of the parallel range has on the
ground floor one C20 casement and 2 mid-C19 sashes with long
vertical panes; the first floor has 3 similar sashes. The left
lean-to has at the rear one early/mid-C19 sash of 8+8 lights.
INTERIOR: the right front ground-floor room has a chamfered
hardwood axial beam and exposed plain joists of vertical
section. The left front ground-floor room has two C19 scrolled
corbels supporting the lintel of the first inserted bay, and
an introduced early C19 cast-iron reeded fireplace and
ducknest grate, in an original hearth. The left lean-to has a
C19 plain white marble fireplace and cast-iron grate. The left
front first-floor room has an attached C19 corner cupboard
with 3 profiled shelves, straight head and 4 original doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the original construction is dated to 1736 by
an entry in the court rolls recording the enclosure of 39 rods
of Ingrave Common, and by a coin of the same date. From 1839
to c1906 this building was a beerhouse, `The Cricketers',
which gave its name to the lane; the left extension was the

Listing NGR: TQ6285691332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.