History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 4 the Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.894 / 54°53'38"N

Longitude: -2.9381 / 2°56'17"W

OS Eastings: 339929

OS Northings: 555871

OS Grid: NY399558

Mapcode National: GBR 7CXV.PG

Mapcode Global: WH802.V822

Entry Name: No 4 the Abbey

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297329

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386601

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY3955NE THE ABBEY
671-1/10/26 No.4

GV II

Prebendal house and offices. 1859-1863 with 1896 additions.
Coarsed red sandstone blocks on chamfered plinth with flush
quoins and string course. Graduated greenslate roofs with
coped gables and kneelers; red sandstone ridge and end chimney
stacks.
2 storeys, 3 bays with 3-bay returns and rear 2-bay extension.
The left bay projects and is gabled; ground floor 3-light
mullioned and transomed window and similar 2-light window
above, both under hoodmoulds. Central plank door in pointed
arch with 2-light overlight under hoodmould; 2-light mullioned
window above. 2-storey squared bay window at right under gable
with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. The returns have
some canted bay windows and other windows similar to facade.
Part of the rear of the building is now used as offices.
INTERIOR: the cellars beneath this building, of sandstone with
brick vaulting, are contemporary with the house and are not
medieval as thought by some writers.
Asquith's Survey of Carlisle 1853 shows that no building was
on this site then, orders for its building were given in 1859
and Brown (1951), says "the new house near St Cuthberts Church
was only completed in 1863". Building plans for the rear
extension are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/12807.
(Brown JW: Round Carlisle Cross: 1951-: P.221).


Listing NGR: NY3992955868

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.