History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Welsh Congregational Union Chapel (Eglwys Y Tabernaacl)

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5308 / 51°31'50"N

Longitude: -0.1185 / 0°7'6"W

OS Eastings: 530605

OS Northings: 183000

OS Grid: TQ306830

Mapcode National: GBR K5.KF

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.WSQB

Entry Name: Former Welsh Congregational Union Chapel (Eglwys Y Tabernaacl)

Listing Date: 11 April 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297992

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369201

Location: Islington, London, WC1X

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Silas Pentonville

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/07/2017

TQ3083SE
635-1/63/685

ISLINGTON
PENTONVILLE ROAD (South side)
Former Welsh Congregational Union Chapel (Eglwys y Tabernaacl)

(Formerly listed as Welsh Congregational Union Chapel (Eglwys y Tabernaacl))

11/04/89

II
Congregational Chapel. 1854. By Henry Hodge. Kentish rag, with copings of Caen stone and window tracery of Ransome's patent siliceous stone; gabled slate roof. Simple unaisled plan.

Gothic Revival style, with Perpendicular articulation to early Decorated features. Wheel window with central quatrefoil to east gable; three-light west window of graduated ancets. Six-bay side walls, articulated by tall offset buttresses dividing tall two-light Decorated windows: King's Cross Road elevation has moulded pointed-arched doorways with engaged shafts flanking two-light trefoil-headed basement windows; Pentonville Road elevation has double-gabled west porch of c.1870, with moulded pointed-arched doorways, set in front of two-storey bay with two-light trefoil-headed window.

INTERIOR: well-preserved, with original pews and fittings including blind Gothic arcading to organ pulpit and raised balcony to front. Gallery of 1857, with Gothic arcaded fronts to balcony,supported by cast-iron columns including decorative brackets to west. Angel-carved corbels support six-bay hammerbeam roof with cusping to spandrels.

History: transferred to Welsh Congregational Union in 1889; between 1904 and 1940 its minister was Howell Elvert Lewis, the distinguished poet and hymn writer.

Listing NGR: TQ3060583000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.