This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5392 / 51°32'21"N
Longitude: -0.1016 / 0°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 531753
OS Northings: 183965
OS Grid: TQ317839
Mapcode National: GBR P2.BD
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.6K4W
Entry Name: Numbers 53-59 (Odd) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368850
Location: Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Islington
Church of England Diocese: London
635-1/59/353 CROSS STEET
29-SEP-72 (South side)
Numbers 53-59 (Odd) and attached raili
53-59 Cross Street, Islington
Row of four Terraced houses. C.1768, built by Benjamin Williams, carpenter. Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, yellow gauged brick arches to windows; roofs repaired with clay tiles. Three storeys over basement except no 53 which has dormers in mansard roof; two windows per floor, 2/2-pane plate glass sashes. EXTERIOR: Steps up to flat-arched entrance with wooden doorcase of pilasters supporting open pediment, overlight and panelled door. All windows flat-arched with gauged brick heads; parapet with stone coping has been rebuilt. Party walls project above roof and carry stacks. Cast-iron railings to front areas. INTERIORS: these are reported by the Survey of London as retaining many original features, of a similar design throughout the houses indicating their unified development. That to No.53 is representative, retaining much original wooden panelling and partition walls. Staircase with turned columnar newel posts, paired at half-landings. Remains of copper and other early kitchen features in basement. Angle-set wooden chimneypieces to back rooms on each floor: that to ground floor with marble slips and dentil cornice. Walls of entrance hall retain extensive remains of stencilled decorative paint treatment, comprising a
Gothic arch with rosette motifs executed in blue, grey and black.
HISTORY: lying on part of the copyhold property of the Manor of Canonbury, these houses stand on land owned in the mid-18th century by the Tufnell family. The south side of Cross Street was laid out in 1767, and largely occupied by 1779. Benjamin Williams, carpenter of Islington, was responsible for the construction of a number of these houses. Their internal configuration, containing much wooden construction and joinery, reflects the prominent role of a carpenter in their construction. The painted stencilled decoration, imitating wallpaper, inside No.53 is a very unusual survival, and shows the application of fashionable Neo-classical decoration to houses of the middling sort.
SOURCES: 'The History Man', Observer Magazine, 23 May 1999, 68-69; English Heritage, London Region historians' report ref. ISL 17.
Listing NGR: TQ3175383965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings