This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0444 / 54°2'39"N
Longitude: -2.798 / 2°47'52"W
OS Eastings: 347840
OS Northings: 461234
OS Grid: SD478612
Mapcode National: GBR 8PXN.0Y
Mapcode Global: WH846.ZLRT
Entry Name: The Barracks, White Cross
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383329
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 4761 SE LANCASTER SOUTH ROAD
The Barracks, White Cross
Militia armoury and store, now offices. 1854, converted c1983. Reputedly by Edmund Sharpe. For the First Royal Lancashire Militia. Squared coursed sandstone with rock-faced quoins. Slate roofs. Scottish Baronial style. H-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay recessed centre under a parapet carried on a corbel-table, and cross-wings of 2 storeys plus attic and 2 bays under crow-stepped gables with central finials and with corbelled comer turrets with conical stone roofs and finials. The windows are mullioned, each with a single transom, and are of 2 lights except for the 2nd and 4th bays of the recessed centre, which have windows of 3 lights. All have casements with glazing bars. The upper lights on the 1st floor have heads with shouldered arches.
The cross-wings have 2-light attic windows. The doorway, in the central bay, is casement-moulded and has a depressed 2-centred arched head with rusticated voussoirs and carved keystone. The chimneys have corbelled cappings. INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: built for the First Royal Lancashire Militia, following the Militia Reform Act (1852), which required the county to build a secure quarters to act as a muster point for the new militia regiment. The regiment moved to Bowerham Barracks in 1881. The building was purchased by Storey Brothers, who used it as offices for their adjoining White Cross works. Following the closure of the works it was bought by Lancashire Enterprises Limited in 1983 and converted for letting as office suites. Reputed to be designed by Edmund Sharpe, but if so this was after the time when he handed over control of his architectural practice to EG Paley.
Listing NGR: SD4784061234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings