History in Structure

Royal Lancaster Infirmary (Original Building)

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0441 / 54°2'38"N

Longitude: -2.7995 / 2°47'58"W

OS Eastings: 347747

OS Northings: 461198

OS Grid: SD477611

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWP.Q1

Mapcode Global: WH846.ZM22

Plus Code: 9C6V26V2+J6

Entry Name: Royal Lancaster Infirmary (Original Building)

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383048

ID on this website: 101194932

Location: Primrose, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Scotforth West

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Tagged with: Hospital building

Find accommodation in



1685-1/8/12 (West side)
Royal Lancaster Infirmary (original


Hospital. 1896, altered and extended 1929. Designed by Paley
and Austin. Sandstone ashlar with slate roofs. Free
Renaissance style. Originally a reversed L-shaped plan
arranged symmetrically around an octagonal 4-stage entrance
tower, and altered by the construction of a long extension on
the left.
Above the entrance doorway is a square niche framed with
strapwork and filled with a Coade stone plaque, representing
the Good Samaritan. This was previously placed above the
entrance of the dispensaries at No.19 Castle Hill (qv) and
No.6 Thurnham Street (qv). The upper faces of the tower above
the doorway are blind, but on the third floor an aedicule
contains the royal coat of arms. On either side of the
entrance the faces of the tower are canted backwards and have
a rectangular window on the ground and first floors. All the
windows have quadrant-moulded architraves and a keystone and
are sashed with glazing bars. On the second floor is a bull's
eye window, and on the third a round-headed window; above is a
balustrade which hides the base of an ogee-shaped dome.
To the right of the tower is the 2-bay return wall of the
right-hand original block, which has 2 storeys, plus gabled
attics, and 5 wide bays arranged as a recessed centre and 2
cross-wings. These have paired windows on the ground and first
floors and a stepped 3-light window under a Flemish gable. The
central bay has a similar gable and paired windows on the
first floor, but the ground floor has a canted bay window. To
the far right is a single-storey wing containing an entrance
with a battlemented lintel and a datestone, all set under a
Flemish gable, which has a bull's eye window.

Listing NGR: SD4774761198

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.