This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9184 / 52°55'6"N
Longitude: -0.6921 / 0°41'31"W
OS Eastings: 488039
OS Northings: 336464
OS Grid: SK880364
Mapcode National: GBR CNQ.5TD
Mapcode Global: WHGKG.BXP2
Plus Code: 9C4XW895+95
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 18 September 1979
Last Amended: 14 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382839
Location: Barrowby, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32
Civil Parish: Barrowby
Built-Up Area: Barrowby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barrowby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK8836 RECTORY LANE
1315-0/13/33 (North East side)
18/09/79 Old Rectory
(Formerly Listed as:
Rectory, now house. c1588, rendered and refenestrated in
Gothick style early C19. Additions C19 and 1905. Extensively
restored 1991. Coursed squared stone and brick, mostly
rendered, with gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. C19 brick
side wall and ridge stacks, and partly rendered external brick
stack. Stone plinth. 2 storeys plus garrets; 3 x 5 windows.
Windows are mainly casements with 2 pointed arched lights,
those to the first floor with glazing bars. Ground floor
windows are slightly larger. All are renewed.
East front has 5 unequally spaced windows. Between the pair to
left, an external stack with a single lancet on the first
floor. The stack is linked to the roof by a tiled gable with
slate hung sides. Below, similar fenestration. Central opening
with Perpendicular style wooden screen and rendered nogging,
containing a traceried panelled door flanked by single
lancets, all with 4-centred arches.
Left return has a coped gable with kneelers and finial, and a
sundial in the peak. The first floor window, and the smaller
garret window, have cornices. Below, a C19 flat roofed square
bay window with 2 casements. To left, in the return angle, a
set back square single storey porch with heavy cornice, 1905.
Two 12-pane sashes, and to right, a panelled door. Right
return has 3 unequally spaced windows. On the ground floor, a
2-light and a 3-light window with glazing bars. To left, a mid
C20 4-pane window, and to right, a small 8-pane sash.
Much altered interior has at the north end 2 first floor rooms
with early C19 coved ceilings. Early C19 dogleg stair and
landing with double stick balusters. Accessible parts of roof
have C19 structure.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 119).
Listing NGR: SK8803936464
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings