This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8346 / 50°50'4"N
Longitude: -0.1699 / 0°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 528968
OS Northings: 105488
OS Grid: TQ289054
Mapcode National: GBR JNW.RVD
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JW.PM7
Entry Name: Ralli Memorial Hall, Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365517
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Goldsmid
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hove All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Ralli Memorial Hall, walls and
Community centre. Dated 1913. Architects Read and Macdonald of
London for Mrs Stephen Ralli, builders Chapman, Lowry and
Puttock. Wrenaissance style.
Red brick laid in English bond, hipped clay tile roof with
upswept eaves and strongly moulded wooden dentil cornice,
brick stacks. L-plan fronting Denmark Villas with long return
of the assembly hall onto Station Approach.
2 storeys over basement 1:3:1 bays, end bays project forward
with pilaster quoins and drops in place of capitals under
hipped roofs with shallow pediments to oriels bays carried on
shaped brackets, all mullion and transom windows with leaded
lights, central oriel gives access to balcony over hexagonal
porch, flanked by mullion and transom casements and garlands
enclosing the date AD 1913; ground floor with segmental headed
casements below oriels, Ionic porch projecting for 3 bays and
recessed for 3 bays with 3 pairs of 12-light double doors with
shaped heads, approached by a shallow flight of 3 steps. There
is an ornamental cartouche in the centre of the solid parapet
to balcony. Ornamental hoppers to square section down pipes.
North return of 2:1:6:2 bays, dentil moulded cornice returned
around head of bulls-eye window over entrance in third bay
left, 6-light mullion and transom windows to buttressed hall,
plaque in central bay inscribed "This stone was laid by
Stephen Andrew Ralli grandson of Stephen Ralli in memory of
whom this all was erected by his wife 14 April 1913".
Brick piers with moulded plinths and coping carrying ball
finials to inner bays returned south and north to entrance on
Station Road Approach, continued along the north elevation;
wrought-iron railings set in dwarf wall.
A fine composition.
Listing NGR: TQ2896805488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings