History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wavertree House

A Grade II Listed Building in Brighton and Hove, The City of Brighton and Hove

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8277 / 50°49'39"N

Longitude: -0.1582 / 0°9'29"W

OS Eastings: 529814

OS Northings: 104749

OS Grid: TQ298047

Mapcode National: GBR JP3.2TC

Mapcode Global: FRA B6KX.86R

Entry Name: Wavertree House

Listing Date: 24 September 1992

Last Amended: 2 November 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365528

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Goldsmid

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hove All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Brighton & Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2904NE FURZE HILL
579-1/19/47 (East side)
24/09/92 Wavertree House

GV II

Dwelling, now residential home for the elderly blind. Dated
1892, extended soon after.
Red brick with ashlar dressings, green slate roof, lead
covered ogee cap to oriel turret, tall external chimney
stacks. Jacobean style.
Plan: parallel range with cross gable forming entrance front.
2 storeys plus attic, 4-bay frontage, 2-storey oriel turret at
junction of west and south facades, 4- and 6-light mullion and
transom windows, 2 in gabled dormers right, centre balustraded
first floor oriel of 6 lights with arch-head window carried on
3 shaped brackets, arch-head entrance with unglazed 2-bay
opening above, panelled dado to porch, recessed half-glazed
door, sidelights and fanlight with ornamental leading, similar
inner door. Oriel turret at junction of facades lit on 3
faces.
Long south front to Lansdowne Road (North side) distinguished
by full-height bay window with balustraded parapet and leaded
windows, which lights the staircase.
Interior: ground floor only seen, contains few features of
interest apart from the original staircase with turned
balusters and moulded handrail. On view in the hall is a pen
and ink drawing of the house dated 1892 and signed by
A.N.Bromley.
The house is said to have been built for a German doctor,
presumably J.C. Uhthoff, physician, who in 1896 is the first
recorded occupant of the house in the street directories. The
main expenditure seems to have been on the exterior of the
building, which occupies a prominent position in Hove.


Listing NGR: TQ2981404749

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.