History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horringer, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2261 / 52°13'34"N

Longitude: 0.6718 / 0°40'18"E

OS Eastings: 582581

OS Northings: 262021

OS Grid: TL825620

Mapcode National: GBR QF4.GNY

Mapcode Global: VHJGV.L9JS

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363153

Location: Horringer, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Horringer

Built-Up Area: Horringer

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Horringer St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text

TL 86 SW HORRINGER THE STREET

2/78 Church of St Leonard

14.7.55
II*


Church, mediaeval, with major C19 alterations. Nave, chancel, north aisle,
west tower, north and south chapels, south porch. Flint rubble (C19 work in
rounded flints) with limestone dressings. Slated roofs with crenellated
parapets and gables. Mid C14 work, mainly restored C19, includes: nave south
door with adjacent stoup; chancel east window of 4 lights, reticulated
tracery, inner shafts and hood-mould; cusped piscina and window-seat; moulded
north chancel door. South porch added c.1465 (legacy 1464) in knapped flint
with panel and chequerboard flushwork, arched doorway with hood-mould and niche
above, crenellated parapets. Other C15 work includes: tower with 2-light west
window (upper stage rebuilt c.1703 - scratched date on round-arched belfry
opening - with crenellated parapets and crocketed pinnacles), pilastered tower
arch: nave roof of coupled rafter type with soulaces, crenellated cornice and
ashlar struts; chancel roof probably similar to nave, now with C19 painted
boarded soffit. North aisle and chapel added 1843 in knapped flint with gault
brick dressings. Further C19 work includes: reconstruction of C14 south
chapel and windows and door to south chancel. Plain octagonal C15 font with
painted escutcheons. Wall tablets to: John Cook, d.1653; Thomas Covel,
d.1715; Sir Richard Gipps, d.1681 and Dame Elizabeth Gipps, d.1715; Valentine
Munbee, d.1750. Brass to Mary Lucas, d.1618; floor slab to Christian Lucas,
d.1666. A group of about 30 C18 tombstones, within 17 yards south of the
church, and east of the south entrance. A number have good carving at the
head.


Listing NGR: TL8258162021

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.