This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.417 / 51°25'1"N
Longitude: 0.0377 / 0°2'15"E
OS Eastings: 541791
OS Northings: 170634
OS Grid: TQ417706
Mapcode National: GBR MV.G60
Mapcode Global: VHHNX.LNS2
Plus Code: 9F32C28Q+R3
Entry Name: Sundridge Park
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358552
Location: Bromley, London, BR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Plaistow and Sundridge
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bromley St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 47 SW,
PLAISTOW LANE, BROMLEY
Now a golf club. The previous house here, built in the early C18 was
demolished in 1792 and a new site chosen for the present building by
Humphry Repton who laid out the grounds. The main portion of the building
was designed by James Wyatt for Edward George Lind and built between 1792
and 1795. The latter sold the estate to (Sir) Claude Scott in 1796, and
John Nash made additions for Scott in 1799. The house is stuccoed with a
slate roof and stands on an elevation facing south. It is of 2 storeys.
In the centre is a curved bay of 3 windows (containing a round room inside
on each floor) with 6 freestanding Corinthian columns rising through 2
storeys and a fine wrought-iron balcony on 1st floor. Above the modillion
cornice of the entablature is a balustraded parapet and inset within this
an attic storey of 3 windows surmounted by a lead saucer dome. On each
side of this curved bay is a splayed portion of 3 windows with stringcourse,
modillion cornice and blocking course. Then at right angles northwards on
each side is a wing of 5 windows. The east one is flanked by Corinthian
pilasters and in the centre is a projection with 4 engaged Corinthian
columns and a pediment above containing a round window in the tympanum.
On each side of the projection is a round-headed window on ground floor
and a round window above this. The west one is flanked by twin Corinthian
pilasters and in the centre is a projection similar to that on the east
but containing a recessed portico with porch. This is the limit of the
Wyatt house. Nash added L-wings on each side projecting at right angles.
The east wing is of 2 storeys and 2 windows. The easternmost window bay
is flanked by twin Corinthian pilasters and surmounted by a balustraded
parapet, its return east front being similar. The west wing is of 1 storey
and 3 windows. It contains the billiard room and is linked to the main
portion of the house by a curved passage. The outside has since been
cemented. Balustraded parapet. At the west end is a pediment supported
on a coupled Corinthian columns and pilaster on each side.
The interior contains elaborate plaster work designed by Wyatt, partly
painted ceilings, a very fine staircase and a round room on 3 floors.
The plan of the house inside is most unusual.
Listing NGR: TQ4179170634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings